I have an 8" round fence post that rotted off. This post is set next to a vinyl post. Both of these posts are set in the same concrete. There is probably 1'-2' of concrete at the bottom of the hole. Any ideas how to get the post out so I can replace it?

Aaaahhhhhhh! I love these games! Who can devise the most outrageous method to do the simplest stuff? 

I'll go with: 

Since you want to remove the remaining post parts, I am going to assume that you want to keep the vinyl post intact. So dig down to the top of the concrete and clear the area around the old post. Go to Harbor Freight and get two sets of wood chisels of 1/2, 3/4, and 1" respectively. You will need two sets so that you can ruin the edge on one and switch to the others to keep working. By the time you ruin the edge of both and need to regrind the edge, you will be ready for a break and try to straighten your back. Now armed with your trusty ball peen hammer and your new chisels, remove the old post parts from the concrete hole. See - easy peasy. Oh, almost forgot; you will need at least two really cushy knee pads for this. You are not as young as you used to be. 

How did I do?

Scott

Not experienced, but there's a few things i might try...
8" round gives a pretty good sized area to use a drill pretty safely. So...maybe 5-10 3/4" to 1" holes deep as i could get, then use a pry bar/jack handle to break out chunks. Repeat as you go deeper. Could probably get that diameter drill at 8" depth or so without a large investment (raggedy forstner bit and an extension--i probably have a few beat up 1 1/2" forstners in the bottom of my tool chest if you need one.)

Actually, if you get 8-10" deep with a few drill holes, battery reciprocating saw & demo blade might be your friend for getting chunks loose. That might get harder as you go deeper--but flipping the blade around will help with that (teeth pointing up as you hold the tool horizontal--that was how i cut windshields in race cars. Worked fine on Lexan, but never wanted that much glass dust when cutting up a street car).

If what's left of the fence post is pretty dry...could try boring a hole and adding a flammable liquid for a slow fire--but that could endanger the vinyl post.

Are you replacing with a smaller diameter that you'll fill the excess hole with concrete? Just curious. If you were close i'd enjoy messing with this!! (i'm guessing you're far south if you're only putting posts 18-24" deep)
(09-08-2024, 03:47 PM)CEPenworks Wrote: I have an 8" round fence post that rotted off. This post is set next to a vinyl post. Both of these posts are set in the same concrete. There is probably 1'-2' of concrete at the bottom of the hole. Any ideas how to get the post out so I can replace it?

If you have access to a electric hammer dig down along side of it drill some holes a little past the center of the rotted post and try to break the concrete off the side.  If you drilled past the center the post will probably come out.  It would be very hard to try and chisel out the post at 24" deep and chances are a new 8" post would not go in the hole.  Roly
What's your timeline? It'll finish rotting.
Wink

Big drill bit.

Small torch.

Air chisel with sharpened bits.

Bust it all out and re-set both new wood post and vinyl post in new concrete.
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a hammer drill and I probably have enough extension cord to get electricity out there. If not I can borrow my BIL generator. I was thinking maybe drill some holes in the concrete then put a cherry bomb in the hole and run. Being in western NY the cherry bomb would be hard to come by. More realistically maybe I can drill holes which would make it easier to breakup with a breaker bar. The concrete is already about 1.5' in the hole so swinging a hammer will be a big pain.
I'm not sure this would work, but maybe drill a large hole vertically down the side and fill it with expandsive cement (the kind used to set bolts in concrete). I'd bet the expansion of the cement will split the concrete off. I'm thinking of doing this to a large boulder in my yard to get down to a size i can move with a tractor.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

(09-09-2024, 07:19 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I'm not sure this would work, but maybe drill a large hole vertically down the side and fill it with expandsive cement (the kind used to set bolts in concrete). I'd bet the expansion of the cement will split the concrete off. I'm thinking of doing this to a large boulder in my yard to get down to a size i can move with a tractor.

They make expanding grout for this very purpose.      GROUT    Roly, Read instructions for product
Do you have an engine lift.  I had to ermove several old post that had rotted off and I dilled a hole in the concrete and used a expansion bolt like a wedge lock then used a chain and pulled then out
The posts I used were from Tractor Supply. The sizing is more of a suggestion than a rule so digging out the rotted wood and trying to replace in the same hole may not be any easier than trying to remove the concrete. I like that expanding grout just wish I could get a smaller amount since it is expensive.
Remove fence post in concrete