I want to turn a knot on a piece of 1.5" stock about 3 to 4 in long. Overall the stock will be 6 inches long. Is there a formula for calculating the length and angle? I'll take any help I can get. Got between now and Christmas.

I figured mark the over all length and measure angle and length. Can it be that simple?
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget

https://www.woodturnersofswmo.org/wp-con...andout.pdf

Maybe this will help.

Al
Some people are like a Slinky. Not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy. Blessed are the peacemakers.
To start I measure to where I want the knot. I mark all sides on the piece. I cut at whatever angle on the first side. Some time all the way through and others I stop leaving a thin piece holding it together. I make my insert the width of that cut and clamp. Turn it over and do the opposite then the two sides.You have to center your cuts on the original markings.

Half the time I cut all the way through on my celtic knots. I clamp it with wax paper on the piece to a board with the long side of the cut out. I bevel the piece to go back in so it sets flat against the back board then the second piece wedged in behind the first cut and clamped usually from each end. Whatever you cut out or add on the first side you have to have  to add that much in on the other 3 sides. Say you add 1/4 inch. you have to center your cuts and cut on both side of the mark taking away 1/4 inch combined. you sometimes have to tweak your clamps to get the older insert pieces to line up.

A true celtic knot is a cut from all 4 sides.
Looks like this is going to be an interesting project. Thanks for the input.
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget
(10-04-2024, 07:02 PM)firefighter Wrote: I want to turn a knot on a piece of 1.5" stock about 3 to 4 in long. Overall the stock will be 6 inches long. Is there a formula for calculating the length and angle? I'll take any help I can get. Got between now and Christmas.

I figured mark the over all length and measure angle and length. Can it be that simple?

I’m not sure about the math but I think if you take a piece of stock 1-1/2” wide on all sides and mark horizontal lines at whichever length you decide on (3” or 4”), you can take an angle finder like the General Tools No. 17 and get the angle.
I did a quick mark up and I think it’s about 70 degrees for a 4” knot.

I find it easiest not to cut all the way through a blank.
Penturners.org has several tutorials on how to make the Celtic Knot, including one I wrote numerous years ago.

Here’s a link to their site with the search parameters:

https://www.penturners.org/search/114627...=relevance

Have fun.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Celtic knot