My Delta Boss spindle sander motor died in the middle of a project. New motors are not available anywhere. A quick trip to Harbor Freight for their cheap tool got me through the project but that machine is a piece of crap. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced replacement, Jet, Grizzly?

Used Clayton.....IF you can find one.

Ed

(10-17-2024, 09:24 PM)EdL Wrote: Used Clayton.....IF you can find one.

Ed

^^^ would be my first choice but they are hard to find.  Second would be the Jet.  They are more money than others being discussed, but also much better machines.  It just depends upon your needs, how much you use one, etc.  Somehow, I've managed to never buy one.  There are times I wish I had, but then I find another way.  

John
Food for thought.....

Spindle Sander Review

My Delta Boss (20+ years old) is still going strong with limited usage. Not familiar with any of the models in this lineup.

Doug
(10-17-2024, 08:36 PM)castguy2003 Wrote: My Delta Boss spindle sander motor died in the middle of a project. New motors are not available anywhere. A quick trip to Harbor Freight for their cheap tool got me through the project but that machine is a piece of crap. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced replacement, Jet, Grizzly?

I’ve had the Ridgid Spindle sander that also has a belt for years. It’s been good to me.
I have a 25+ year old Craftsman, and it's not that good....but still does what I need in limited use. But when it goes if I stay with a benchtop model it will probably be the Rigid.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I've had the Rigid for years and it's always done the job.
Frank
There is a Ryobi Spindle Sander for sale in SnS right now.
Frank
I’ve had the Ryobi for years, purchased at an estate sale. Solid machine.
I have had the Ridgid sander for nearly 20 years.  It's a good machine.  I thought it had gone out of production, but I see new stock now available on Amazon and at Home Depot.

There are a couple of details that sometimes aggravate me, but overall I think the machine is a good value.

- The nut fastener at the top of the spindle is larger in diameter than the smallest spindle.  That means that tall work pieces may hit that knob.

- The geometry of the work table is such that when it's used, the work piece isn't supported near the surface where the workpiece contacts the spindle or belt.  That can cause issues keeping the workpiece stable when being sanded.  Because of this, I don't use the tilt-table function of this sander.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Spindle Sander suggestions