While working on a prototype for walnut mantel...BAM.. a 5 horsepower kickback. Ripped the Grip-tite off the table and through it across the shop through the window. The bucket in the yard shows the range of the debris field.

The board, as you can see, has a nice 22* bevel arch cut through it. I expected to be working with wood today, but it looks like glass will be the material of choise. Scarred the h*** out of the dog outside.
"That's like getting a running start and diving headfirst into the vortex."

Steve Freidman 4/21/2013

wow. glad you're not hurt, and KUDOS to you for standing off to the side! Had you not been doing that, i'm sure someone else would be working on flesh instead of you working on glass.
WE SURROUND THEM
the912project
And you were being careful. Proves that none of us are safe.

Very happy that neither you or the dog were injured.
See ya later,
Bill
You are very lucky that the only damage is to the shop.

From your photo, it appears you have the blade tilted to toward the fence, if that is true , that is the cause of the kickback.

That would be trapping the board between the fence and the blade, and if the board rises at all you have kickback.

Yeah, I didn't notice that at first glance but a trapped bevel cut is probably the cause. (hard to be certain from the pic) If indeed it was a bevel cut the fence needed to be moved to the left of the blade on your RT saw. HTH
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
Yeah, I think that's what happened. Usually that isn't a problem, but, it looks like I'll be using the fence on the left side of the blade for those bevel cuts.

Steve Freidman 4/21/2013

Makes me want to take up reading

Glad you alright - that could have been brutal
HandyDandy said:

You are very lucky that the only damage is to the shop.

From your photo, it appears you have the blade tilted to toward the fence, if that is true , that is the cause of the kickback.

That would be trapping the board between the fence and the blade, and if the board rises at all you have kickback.

Norm does this all the time.

(just sayin. I think it's unsafe also.)

brian
Shut up and take your medicine, citizen.
Please describe exactly what happened so we can all benefit. Was it that you were relying ONLY on the grip tites to hold the piece both against the table and fence?
What do you think were the main causes of this incident?

Yes, I was using the Grip-tites and a push stick.

Steve Freidman 4/21/2013
Now that's a kickback!