Hi, a few months ago I saw a beautiful saw restored by Daryl Weir in a post here, he did mention he used no sandpaper or machines, with those two hints I set off to see if I could find a way to replicate his results. My saw plate polishing method is performed with the following steps, although step 1 may be omitted if the saw plate has light rust/tarnishing and the rust issue isn't severe as step 2 can actually cut through a lot of rust on its own. I just jumped straight to step 2 because my saw didn't have a lot of rusty build-up.

Disclaimer: Wear gloves, the ball of foil will chew up your skin.

1. Use a razor blade or something similar to scrape off as much rust as you can off the saw plate.

2. Use a high quality metal polish ( Autosol, Flitz etc. ) and dab it onto the saw plate, no need to waste a lot, you can literally just bang the tube of polish against the plate in key areas so that you will have enough polish to do the job. Now get some Aluminum foil, crumple it up into a ball and begin scrubbing the plate until you literally clean the polish off the plate. You will understand what I mean as you keep scrubbing, eventually the aluminum foil will clean up the plate and take all the polish off as if it is wiping it clean. If there are some areas that could use more polishing, just dab some more metal polish on and keep working until you are satisfied.

That is it, this method is incredibly clean since you do not have dirty mineral spirits or water and steel sloshing around and staining everything near it. The saw plate will literally clean itself and if you are careful, you many not even dirty your hands. The foil is too soft to abrade the saw plate, but is hard enough to scrub away the rust. The polish will then brighten and clean the plate making it very smooth and reflective, perfect qualities for a hand saw. I love this method because you do not introduce new abrasion marks into an old tool and I feel it achieves results faster, cleaner all while retaining the marks of age and history, I'm done going through a grit progression of sand paper, I'll save grit progression for sharpening.

Excuse the quality of the pictures, I took them about an hour and a half ago outside. It took me 20 minutes to finish the one side of this saw, I'm going to polish up the side with the etch tomorrow, it's late and dark but if you see how the plates shine in the day light, its really something.

IMG_2555 by Christian Castillo1, on Flickr

IMG_2556 by Christian Castillo1, on Flickr

IMG_2558 by Christian Castillo1, on Flickr

Great tip! Thanks a bunch!
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
Very interesting!

Some of you guys won't get the pic!

Toby

I got the pic!! Very cool that its autographed!!

"but shtoopid"

Man, you must be old!

Toby
Thanks for the method. I picked up this weekend an old Disston 20" panel saw for $1 at a yard sale. Was not looking forword to all the sanding to clean it up. Hopefully I'll have time to try your method this evening. Mine will need step 1 though.
John
That's amazing!! How did you discover this method? I'm very interested in seeing a pic or two of the etch to see whether the foil will damage it. Thanks!!!
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Christian,
That's a GREAT tip! I really need to give that a try. Now I just need to find a local source for AutoSol and I'll be all set.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Christian, I'd LOVE to hear how many methods you tried until you got to this. This is so far off the radar that I'm surprised you tried it at all, but your results look good in that picture.

A couple questions:

How long did you scrub to get that result?
How did the etch come out?
What led you to try this??
What other crazy ideas did you try, and how effective were they?

Great work!
-G
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Wow. I just might have to try that

Great work, I want to see more pictures of the saw!
"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."

My Woodworking Blog: A Riving Home
How to polish a saw plate