I sprayed most of these just this morning. A couple of the dyed ones I may have posted before, not sure. Skew only on the finials.

Steve K
Steve K

Very nice, and yet another thing I won't have time to make. Those might sell well next week.
Those are beautiful, what is the dark coloured one? I really like that one.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member

chips ahoy said:

what is the dark coloured one? I really like that one.

Mel

Assuming you mean the globe, it is cherry. After hollowing, aniline dye is placed inside while spinning. However the dye comes through the wood gives the pattern. I learned that technique from the "Wyoming woodturner", Sam Angelo, on youtube.

Steve K said:

[blockquote]chips ahoy said:

what is the dark coloured one? I really like that one.

Mel

Assuming you mean the globe, it is cherry. After hollowing, aniline dye is placed inside while spinning. However the dye comes through the wood gives the pattern. I learned that technique from the "Wyoming woodturner", Sam Angelo, on youtube.

[/blockquote]

Cool idea!
Thanks Steve appreciate it,that is a fantastic idea.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I like the effect of the plywood ones, either dyed or uncolored. I think what appeals to me is the optical illusion that they are bulging out between the veneer dividing lines, while my brain tells me that I'm being tricked and that the pieces are actually round in cross-section. Sometimes it is visually fun to get fooled.

I also like the effect you get on the bells from crossing the lamination borders at an angle as you taper the outside of the bell.
"For true creativity, we have to think beyond our tools." - MsNomer -
"Measuring is the enemy of precision." - Chris Schwarz on story sticks -
"only one opinion counts, the one that pays." - daveferg -
Great job Steve.

Where do you get the eyelets from?
Carl
Hard headed Cajun

craneman54 said:

Great job Steve.

Where do you get the eyelets from?

First, thanks to everyone who replied and commented!!
Until recently I was getting them from my local Ace Hardware. Convenient but expensive, $2.99 for seven of them. Did some searching and found woodworkingparts.com
I bought 100 brass and 25 nickel plated for right at nine bucks. Much easier to swallow.
Steve K

I should have asked the first time,but what size are the ones you use?
Carl
Hard headed Cajun
Some more Christmas ornaments.