Over the years there have been so many amazing homemade tools posted here one at a time
Unfortunately, most of those pics are long gone.

It would be great to have a thread documenting so much of the cool stuff that you all make at home.

I hope this takes off

A couple of mine..........

Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery

Nice work, Greg...

Having a little trouble with Photobucket right now but here's one not-so-recent project...

Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

We've been looking for decent bench chisels for years. I spent a lot of money figuring out I wouldn't be happy with the current production available. We wanted bevel-edged bolstered chisels with thin blades, small side lands, and appropriately sized handles. Even several years watching eBay netted only two decent chisels but one was wider than we need and one wasn't bevel edged.

I decided to try to make three sets for plane making. They're 7/8", 5/8" and 3/8" wide. The first photo is of them after stress relieving, the second photo is my set with handles I rushed through to test the steel, and the third is Don using his. I would guess that Don uses his for about 90% of his chisel work and I almost always reach for mine with I'm doing anything with a chisel.

I learned a lot doing this and could do a better job if I did it again. Still, they're the best chisels I've ever used and hold an edge better than any of the new, vintage, or Japanese chisels we have in the shop. Accurate heat treating of O-1 steel makes all the difference.

lwilliams said:

Larry, those are stunning. Is the bolster a separate piece or did you forge it into the chisel blank? I've been pondering how to do a proper set of thin 18th century style firmers for years without having to make the bolster a separate piece or cutting the chisel from a really thick blank and doing a lot of filing. I'd be interested in the process you used to make these if they're all one piece. Beautiful work as always.
Bob

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right."

Bob Rozaieski Fine Woodworking

Bob Rozaieski said:

Larry, those are stunning. Is the bolster a separate piece or did you forge it into the chisel blank? I've been pondering how to do a proper set of thin 18th century style firmers for years without having to make the bolster a separate piece or cutting the chisel from a really thick blank and doing a lot of filing. I'd be interested in the process you used to make these if they're all one piece. Beautiful work as always.

Bob,

It's not the most efficient method but those chisels were machined, ground, and filed from drill rod. They are one piece but there was a lot of waste involved. For example the 1" diameter blank for a 7/8" chisel weighed 28 1/2 ounces and the finished 7/8" chisel weighed just 3 ounces. Here's a photo of them after just initially roughing them out:

Great idea! I've probably posted these too often already. But here are a few.

I made the handle only. The business end is the Gramercy kit:

Round bottom:

Happy new year, everyone!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Some oldies, but also a brand spanking new walnut 16" tenon saw. Needs sharpening and setting yet, but turned out okay. It is an attempt to mimic Isaac Smith's work, using his saw nuts, which are awesome, by the way!

Walnut handle (plan downloaded from Isaac's site) turned out pretty good, a few flaws, made quite handily with Loigier's sawmaker's rasp, I can't recommend it enough.

Laminated brass backs in Tim Hoff style, except I peened brass bar instead of using threaded and wasn't as successful in filling the voids as I thought I was before cleanup happened:

Earlier dovetail saw in bubinga, laminated back with threaded rod:

Bubinga coffin smoother:

It's fun making tools and using them to make other things. Happy New Year's!
Nice looking tools everyone who has posted so far. Greg this is a great idea, i love seeing hand ( home ) made tools .

Steve
Here are a couple I have done, nothing fancy...

The simple mallet...

Andy
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
A few of my crude example

Rasp Handles

Screw driver and hand drill

Turning Tools

Hold down knobs

Awls

And Mallets

Often in Error, Never in Doubt
Mike Jury

Post pics of your homemade tools