Here's a Cherry Salad/Fruit Bowl I just finished up. This is for my little sister. Since she was the last one to move out she never really got a Salad bowl back when I was in "production mode". This wood came from a HUGE Cherry Tree that Bill Grumbine helped me harvest back in 2003-2004. I think this is the last piece I have from that tree. I remember that day because we had to lug all that wood up a dog doo encrusted hill!

Dimensions: 13 3/4" dia x 4" deep with a 5" dia base and 3/8" wall thickness

Finish: Because the end grain was giving me fits, I ended up wet sanding to 600 grit with 50/50 Mix of Mineral Spirits and Spar Varnish. This mix stiffens up the end grain and allows it to shear more cleanly. The resulting swarf also fills the pores and makes for an ultra smooth finish.

After wet sanding ( and repeated clean up with mineral spirits) it was allowed to dry for several days and then sanded with 600 grit again. Followed up with 2 coats of Watco's Danish Oil (sanded between each coat). Buffed with Beall Buffing wheels (Tripoli, White Diamond, & Carnuba Wax)

See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?

That's a beautiful bowl
Steve K

Bet you are going to have one very happy little sister. Love the finish.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Magnificent!!!!

How long did it dry after the first turning? How out of round did it get?
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill

joemac said:

Magnificent!!!!

How long did it dry after the first turning? How out of round did it get?

Not too long,......

About 11 years.....

And after that time it was about as distorted as it was going to get. And since I left the wall thickness on the high side it didn't move all that much.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Nice bowl!!
I do not want to spoil this with to much words

Spectacular

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I just had a visual of the last slice of tomato in the bowl and someone says lets split that and gets out a nice sharp knife.....

Nice Bowl and beautiful finish!
VH07V  
Beautiful bowl Blacky, gotta love that cherry.
That is definitely a beautifully bowl, and nice finish.
Ken
large cherry salad bowl