You will recall the thread I originated a couple of weeks ago concerning another failed variable speed switch on a Dewalt 618, the topic of several threads on here over the last several years.

Link.

On the advice of Pat and others, I sent an email to Dewalt CS, got a clueless boilerplate response. I replied with somewhat more blunt wording and finally Dewalt sent me a shipping label to UPS the motor to the nearest factory service center with a suggestion that something might actually be done for me. I just got off the phone with them and they offered me a compromise of parts, labor and return shipping for $67 and change. I got the sense that the service center was really trying to do the right thing, but that other than the shipping label they sent me, Dewalt CS was offering nothing. I reluctantly settled, but I'm still wondering if I wouldn't be better off putting the 67 bucks into something more reliable.

Both Dewalt CS and the service center claimed to be unaware that there is a chronic problem with the variable speed switches on these units. (The service center had only done two repairs for this in the last four years.) I suggested to them that maybe their own repair records were not a good indicator, as folks were just tossing the units instead of spending the money to fix them. If they really want to know what is happening with their products, they need to monitor forums like this. Had I not been a regular here, I would have considered this an isolated problem.

Not 100% satisfied with how this was resolved, but if I can save someone else from making the mistake of buying one of these lemons, I'm glad I posted. Too bad. If not for one fatal flaw, these are very good routers.
A retirement dedicated to fine woodworking and bad golf.

You decide you want your $68 back let me know and I Will take it off you hands.

I like them and only have had one mag variable speed disc go out in one - so far.

Mikie

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I'm not surprised you got the blank look from DeWalt regarding any knowledge of problems with the router. Several years ago there were chronic problems with their scroll saw. There were a lot of posts/threads and discussion about it on a scrolling forum I frequent. Someone suggested that we should all write DeWalt CS to register complaints. Many did so and DeWalt didn't acknowledge any broad problem with design or manufacture or offer any additional assistance beyond referring them to their local service center. I never even got a reply to my letter. Very disappointing.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

My suggestion would be this: When you get the 618 back, open it back up and remove the magnet. Doing this will turn it into a single speed 616. I say this because I suspect the magnet at some point will break again, destroying your motor. That's what happened to me. 618 is a temporary router.

To add to this, both of my 618s had the magnetic ring go out.
One won't work at all, the other works fine as a single speed after removing the broken magnet shards.

I also have 616 motors. I've noticed that the still functioning 618 has the added advantage of slow start and slightly more power under load, even with the removed magnet.
"I buy tools so i can make more money, so I can buy more tools so I can work more, to make more money, so I can buy more tools, so I can work more..."

"Happiness is seeing that big brown truck pull up in front of the house".

I go to trade shows .. had a Bosch colt with a faulty collet lock .. Remember bringing it up and not one person at the Bosch booth had any idea.

I thought they took care of those.
AFAIK, they ship colts with 2 wrenches now.
"I buy tools so i can make more money, so I can buy more tools so I can work more, to make more money, so I can buy more tools, so I can work more..."

"Happiness is seeing that big brown truck pull up in front of the house".
Finally heard back from the service center today. They tore it down and found that when the switch disintegrated, it took out the armature as well. Said they would waive labor and shipping, but the cost was going up to $99. That crossed my threshold of what I would spend on rebuilding a POS. Milwaukee tools, here I come.
A retirement dedicated to fine woodworking and bad golf.

A pity how the customer, once sold, is transparent.
Pat Warner

This is sad. Other than one Festool OF1400, all my routers are Dewalts; 1 of 621, 2 of 625 and 1 of the 611 set. None have seen heavy use and work well so far. I especially like the 621 but hearing these stories, it is unlikely I will buy another...
Another DW618 router bites the dust - followup