I want to cut some circular plugs about 2" dia x 1" long from old truck tire treads. Any hand tool techniques that will make a smooth job of it?

If it is one of the old tires with out steel belts you can use a plug cutter or hole saw.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I use a gasket cutting punch and a hydraulic press to cut rubber disks, though mine are less than 3/8" thick. It would be a real chore to remove a 1" long piece.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Rubber is rendered brittle and easier to cut at low temperatures, dry ice or liquid nitrogen. If the tire is steel reinforced you are out of luck unless you have a tire recap operation and then they might be able to do it for you. I don't know of any hard tool that will cut rubber other than holes in rubber stoppers.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
You can buy 1" sheet rubber, the company I worked at did, by mistake. For plugs a hole saw and drill press. When it comes to tires or conveyor belting with their steel cords, a " Zipcut" blade and a an angle grinder.
A man of foolish pursuits
Are the plugs the waste, or do you need solid plugs? If the former, something like this in the right size might work with a longer bolt.

http://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-7211BB-3-...kout+punch
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

I've a set I used to use for punching holes in chassis, they work fine on aluminum but no on rubber or plastics.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
What tool will cut rubber