Hi all,

Just put in some non ic 3" cans. I want to keep the insulation away and was wondering if a 5 gal bucket with the bottom cut off would work? The diameter of the bucket meets the 3" on all sides requirement. I am assuming if the insulation(blow in) is 3" away and won't burn then the plastic bucket won't either. Thoughts?

John
Follow along on the instantgram:  room_23_woodworks

How about rings cut from sonotubes. I'm sure there is purpose built products.

However, the best answer is IC lights.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry

Buckets are way cheaper than 12" sono tube. If someone gives me a compelling reason not to use buckets I will get a piece of sono tube.

You need to allow the lights to vent so the heat can't build up.

I should have gone with IC rated ones but these are what I have...

John
Follow along on the instantgram:  room_23_woodworks
A bucket would probably be fine but why cut the bottom off. There are covers made but they are pricey. Some have made 5 sided boxes out of foam board as well.

I would have used ic cans as well but many of them still have more air leaks than I like. I usually tape up the leaks with aluminum tape. Also ic remodel cans are pricey unless you have a menards.
Non IC can light protection