Had a kid. After about a year and a half started to get glimpses of free time to build stuff. Then had another kid. This time the free time came just a bit earlier. So for the last few weeks I decided to make a peel for my oven. The commercial ones just were not big enough for what I wanted, and the curved front on the front of the wooden ones was a detriment, so I made my own. Just grabbed some 1/2" poplar from the borg, glued it together, plane to flatten, cut to shape (apparently my smaller rip saw pulls to the right. Need to look up which side to stone the saw on to fix that), then did the shaping with a spokeshave and files. Finished with a RO sander. Haven't tried it yet, but should work much better than my old one.

Size comparison to one of the "home" sized peels. It is hard to tell from this angle, but mine is about the same depth, a few inches wider, and has a longer handle.

Not much in the way of progress shots. But here it is after I glued up the three boards.

And for my next project? Something simpler! Stay tuned. Maybe this one I can do in less than a week...

Mark

Nice job!

My neighbor made one of these about 4 months ago, using some of my tools. He makes great bread and pizzas!
Chris
Rumor has it that finishing a project feels really good.

Hopefully, one of these days, I will find out.

Very nice job.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Very nice job, you may have added something to my bucket list. One ? though, how much of a bevel do you cut on the leading edge?
David from Cleveland, Ohio

DJChurn said:

Very nice job, you may have added something to my bucket list. One ? though, how much of a bevel do you cut on the leading edge?

It's about 1/2-5/8" deep. But, I also have a metal peel. General rule of thumb is wooden peels are easier for making a pizza on and sliding onto the stone, and metal is better for getting off the stone. So since I'll be using a metal peel to pull off the stone, I didn't care about the ramp as much. I'll have a much better idea if the slope is gentle enough after trying it a few times. If my toppings start going everywhere I'll make the slope more gradual.

Mark

Good to see you back in here again Mark, great project!
Skip

Looks great.

I suggest that you start another project soon or you may lose your PHD.
msweig said:

(apparently my smaller rip saw pulls to the right. Need to look up which side to stone the saw on to fix that)
Mark

Great to see you back in the shop and back on WoodNet. Kids sure eat up your time, don't they? But the time invested pays wonderful dividends over the long term.
As for the saw, stone the side to which it is pulling; in your case, the right side. Stone a little and try it. Stone a little more and try it. Continue until it cuts straight. You don't want to overshoot the mark.
I can connect with you on not having enough time!! How I wish I could just finish a project without so many darn interruptions There are so many things I want to build, and hone my skills, but I just can't find the time!! I keep saying when I retire, but something will come along and keep me from my passion of woodworking. Better yet, I will not physically be able to do anything of any value. Anyway, enough of my ranting. The peel looks great!!! My wife makes her own pizza, and I need to make a bigger peel. Stay tuned, it should only take 3 months.
I finally finished a project