I am making my first flag case and need to fit a piece of glass in it. It is 14" along the bottom and just shy of 10" on the sides. I found a glass shop that would charge me around $14 and take 3 days to get. I wanted to give it to someone this weekend so that doesn't really work out timewise. The hardware store said they only cut rectangles. Is plexiglass acceptable? That would be easier to cut into a triangle and less costly, too. Any suggestions from the Woodnet braintrust?

Haven't done it in ages but doing it myself was fairly easy. Go to the borg and get glass and a glass cutter tool (maybe $5.00?). Score and snap.
Plexi is acceptable.
A lot of guys here used plexi on their cases and it works just fine.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Plexi is actually preferred in premium conservation framing. Glass is an insulator and changes temperature slowly resulting in more condensation as temp and humidity change. Plexi changes temp quickly avoiding condensation. Less chance of water marks on the flag over the years. You can get UV blocking plexi (or glass) at a good frame shop to help avoid fading.

By the way, try another glass shop - we cut and sell glass and that piece would be about 6 bucks and take 6 minutes.

Thanks for the answers. I knew someone here would have the experience. I went to Hobby Lobby and picked up 2 precut 11" x 14" pieces of poly for $8. I need one for the certificate and the other should require only one cut on the diagonal. I will cut that on my table saw unless there is a better way. I'm open to ideas on that cut.

80 tooth Freud blade and slow feed.

Also, band saw and belt sander.

Based on the advice above, you've got the solution. Good luck. I'm sure they will be pleased and most appreciative.

If there is a next time, consider this. Take your case/frame to an ACE hardware store. They cut glass on the spot. Let them take the measurements and then cut the glass. Letting them measure it is the important point. With the frame on hand, you can insure the glass will fit before you leave the store. A piece that small only costs about $5. I've made a number of flag cases and shadow boxes and I always use single strength glass. Cheers - Dave
You can score and snap plexi using a scoring blade meant for formica. You can find these in the formica section of your local Lowes or HomeDepot.

You need to make several passes, and I like doing so on both sides if it is very thick. The thin stuff does not require it. It is easy to align as you can see the score on through the plexi.

Do not use Styrene. It scratches really easy and shatters like glass.

Remove the protective film where you are going to score.

The scoring blade is useful for formica too. I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Hyde-Tools-45730-P...B000C027ZE

Make sure your clamp your straight edge or you will make several score lines and you only want one. Or a rubber backed straight edge.

I think this does a better job than a table saw.

I use plexi for childrens' rooms, for areas that might see abuse (like a den where kids might be unsupervised(, and when I have to ship.

Glass for everything else. Once you get used to cutting glass it is the easiest thing in the world. Use one stead (not overly hard) pass with water or oil. With the score facing up, place a dowel directly under the score and press down on both sides. Make sure your score goes all the way to the end of the sheet. You don't really need the dowel but it is easier for first timers.

The ability to cut glass will come in handy over time. So it is a worthwhile skill to acquire. Glass is cheap, does not scratch easily and does not attract dust like plexi does.

But at all costs avoid the styrene glazing sheets. They really suck.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
flag case glass