I have this corner brace in my garage that is in the way of drywalling my trusses. Can I cut them out? Or retrofit them somehow? What would you do?

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear brighter until you hear them speak.

Let me state it again,

There will be no
duplication of work! - By order of the Office of Redundancy Office

are there 4 of them, or just the one? I'm no expert, but I've never seen such a thing.

If that brace is really needed, you have much bigger problems.

I see the roof has OSB. If it is properly nailed,(I assume it is) then you should be good to go with taking it out of there.

I see no reason it could not be moved to the top of that rafter tie if you are playing it safe. It would then still be doing most of the work it is now. It just would not be tied directly to the top plate.

With a fully sheathed roof with OSB, I don't see how another 2x4 would prevent any more wracking.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".

Fine---I guess 3 contractors who built garages in houses I lived in ALL forgot to remove them. :roll eyes: I don't claim to be a framing expert---and unless the other two posters are framing experts----one opinion is as good if not more logical than another. All I can do is tell you what I've seen before.

Also----in reviewing the pic, I happened to notice your roof had skip sheathing with OSB over the top of it. Skip sheathing is used for wood shake shingles and the OSB over the top seems to indicate the type of shingles has been changed to possible a heavier roof material (shakes are pretty light compared to other types like asphalt or tile. Again---I'd want an expert's opinion.
Dave

Dave - If those boards are needed he has real problems. They are not needed. Framers don't remove them because they don't worry about a couple of boards.

If he is putting in DW then the DW will give way more support then a couple of 2x4 with a couple of nails holding them in. Not an expert - just took some engineering class - ok - a long time ago.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I doubt they forgot, they just didn't care enough to remove them. Pretty common when putting the walls up to put diags in to keep it square until the roof goes on.

yeah, no reason for a builder to remove them. Just extra work and an extra disposal problem. Does it connect the wall with the garage door to the side wall? It doesn't look like it from here
I wouldn't consider it a brace someone forgot to remove. I've had them in three garages I've had over the years. I believe they're intended to prevent racking/movement of the large header for the garage door.

My garage is fully drywalled, and they just butted the drywall up to the edge of the brace---just as you would with an open beam ceiling. I'd install blocking on the walls for the ceiling drywall as needed.
Dave
Cut them out. Used during assembly. I can't see any other purpose.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I agree with the others who say to lose that corner tie. It did it's job but it should be enjoying retirement.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Framing question