I've had some great chisel luck recently, now I have to sharpen them. First off it's squaring and beveling, and I rather play it safe, so I'll use wet/dry on a slab of granite. What's the best way of holding the paper to the granite?
A man of foolish pursuits

Spray adhesive. I use 3M "Super 77" though it is a bit tough to remove when the paper needs to be change. A craft-grade spray adhesive would be easier to work with.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com

When I've used that stuff, I've ended up with splatters. Is there a trick?

Downwindtracker2 said:

When I've used that stuff, I've ended up with splatters. Is there a trick?

Keep the tip clean. Clean off any build up of glue around the orifice.

3M 77 is great on granite. I like to hit the sandpaper with a J roller as well to ensure a good bond. When done using the spray adhesive, invert the can and spray until it sprays nothing but air. Don't worry, there is plenty of propellant in there that will still be in the can when the glue runs out. I've gone through a can or two of the stuff over the years.

I like to clean off the granite with some lacquer thinner when I change sandpaper. It will wipe the glue right off. No need to soak the sandpaper in glue either. A light dusting is all you'll need.

Carl

Thank you guys , a light dusting it is. I'm leary of using a 8" 3600rpm grinder, even with a cool white on fine chisels for shaping. I use water stones for sharpening. I've picked up a set of E.A. Berg butt chisels and Wm. Marple paring chisels to go with my Beaver bench chisels. The tool gods have truly smiled on me.
I've used the 3M 77 for the last couple of years. Had a problem with paper being lumpy on the first application. On reapplication I used a wallpaper seam roller to smooth out the paper (but the J roller would work better). Worked fine. I also use Acetone to remove the paper when the time comes to replace it.
WalterB

I use heat to peel off sandpaper attached with 3M 77. Just warm it up with a heat gun and it peels right off. If a lot of glue remains it can be scrapped off with a cheapo razor blade scraper or wiped off with a solvent.

Phil
I have seen a lot of guys use this for sharpening.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/a...dEY9MuFPUA

It is the stuff with glue on the back and just get the grit you want.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

Arlin Eastman said:

I have seen a lot of guys use this for sharpening.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/a...dEY9MuFPUA

It is the stuff with glue on the back and just get the grit you want.

Arlin

That's the stuff I use. But not for sharpening. I use 80 and 100 grit for flattening the backs of plane irons and chisels. If you do use it, get yourself a "J-Roller" and roll over it a couple times before use. It'll help it adhere and get rid of any bubbles.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Wet/Dry on Granite