I need to replace a worn out sliding patio door. I plan on replacing it with a french door. We have considered the space we give up with the swing and it will be OK.

Why do they recommend that doors swing inwards other then allowing for a screen to be used?

I swing for snow regions and out swing for hurricane regions. Also roof overhang is a factor as well. Many houses now have little to no overhang and rain can get on the door when open.

Personally I prefer out swing doors. One of the benefits is increased security as its harder to get into a house with an out swing door.

Robert Adams said:

I swing for snow regions and out swing for hurricane regions. Also roof overhang is a factor as well. Many houses now have little to no overhang and rain can get on the door when open.

Personally I prefer out swing doors. One of the benefits is increased security as its harder to get into a house with an out swing door.

Uh, Robert---that's really not true unless you add pins in at least two sets of hinge screw holes. You're right, if the installer installs the pins.
Dave

For out swing doors there should be non removable pins in the hinges
daveferg said:

[blockquote]Robert Adams said:

Uh, Robert---that's really not true unless you add pins in at least two sets of hinge screw holes. You're right, if the installer installs the pins.

[/blockquote]

That hasn't been needed to be added in many many years. Hinges for exterior doors have a nub stamped into both sides that lock the hinges together when closed. Also the ones for out swing doors have no removable pins. There are no pins for the installer to put in.

Also most insurance companies now recommend out swing doors as they are harder to break into.

Thanks all,

After doing a little more online searching, seems like the in-swing verses out-swing discussion could become a heated thread downstairs.

We do get snow, and last year, two good snows would have caused problems with an out-swing door. Plus I would like to be able to open the door and leave a screen door in place, so I think I will stick with a in-swing door.

Slider is out. Dont want one of those anymore.

Scoony sounds like a good choice considering your situation.

As to out swing doors---not denying design changes mentioned, BUT you would need a consumer and a store aware of it, as both slab and pre-hung exterior doors can be mounted in either direction with typical slip-pin hardware.
Dave
Likely several reasons---

If you're in snowdrift country, a door opening out can be problematic to getting out.

Typically doors open in so that hinge pins are inside and can't be pulled by a burglar. There are, however, steps you can take to hold hinge side in place even if the pins are removed while the door is closed.

However, I wouldn't fluff off the point about a screen door.. Our slider/screen is a major source of circulating air on warm days, and unless you live in a "bugless" area, going without a screen isn't a good idea.

If you're having to make a trade-off about the space required for the in-swing---have you considered a slider with a grid/multi-light insert?

FWIW, we replace our original aluminum slider with a vinyl one----that was 12 years ago and haven't had one problem.
Dave
As long as the landing outside the house meets the minimum requirement for ingress with the door open it can be either way.

I encourage the use of outswing doors especially if both units are operable mainly due to the fact that the wind blows on occasion ( not from hurricanes or even snow drifting and we do have snowdrifts in the Rocky Mtns ) Outswing doors actually help seal the door tighter instead of just blowing through the house or opening if the door is not securely latched.

check local requirements for swing distance and ingress requirements for an outswing door, if it is workable do it
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Patio Doors