Wifey is wanting the Christmas list early and there are a couple of Festool items on the list this year for the "big present".

Getting to the point in life where I just buy what I want and try not to buy too much as it just sits.

I'm considering one of the Festool Drill kits with no battears as well as getting the new cordless Tracksaw that comes with the 2 18v batteries.

The drill interests me because of the offset chuck option ($120) by itself, wondering what drill set I should put on her list that might already include that Chuck and save myself some money down the road knowing I will be picking up the track saw to cover the 18v batteries.

There are so many different drills I got lost looking, I don't think I want a true Centrochuck set up as those bits are expensive when plain ole 3 jaw chuck suits me fine for my collection. Looks like the offset chuck is just a plain hex shank? They don't seem to offer a front on view.

arw01 said:

... Getting to the point in life where I just buy what I want and try not to buy too much as it just sits. ...

"as it just sits" sounds like you are blowing away cash just because you can Why not pick a deserving charity and donate the excess. You may find it more rewarding than being a tool collector.
I have the C15 and CXS set. You can fit a hex shank bit in both the 90 degree and eccentric (offset) chucks but it's not seated fully and there is no detent for the bit to engage. So the bit can fall out. I've done it before when I was too lazy to get the centrotec bits or didn't have the centrotec bits with me.

It works but I wouldn't want to use it that way on a regular basis. The bit never felt secure enough for me and if I bumped something with it, it would fall out. With the 90 degree attachment however, you can mount the jacob's chuck to it to use on any bit but it will increase the length.

If you have a woodcraft or other store that stocks them you can always try it out for yourself and see if it's good enough. Which it might be, since you won't be using those attachments all the time. The CXS doens't come with the eccentric chuck (only the 90 degree) but there isn't too much space between the center of the chuck and the top of the drill so it can still fit in many tight spaces. It provides more than enough power for anything shop related I've needed and unless you need to drive large lag screws it should be fine in most situations. Festool also has a really good no questions asked return policy if you feel the drill doesn't meet your expectations.

One good news is that Festool has recently lowered the prices on their batteries and is quite affordable now

Btw I personally love the 90 degree chuck. Much better than the other 90 degree attachments I've used.
I suppose if you really need the cordless aspect of the battery powered track saw, pairing it with a cordless drill might make some sense. For a saw, though, unless you really are going to be far away from a power outlet, corded is much better. Once you get to that, the argument for the drill to be paired with it evaporates too.

I have several Festool tools (including the corded TS55 track saw... Love it), but I think the drills are the least compelling item to buy Festool. My cordless drill is a... Ryobi. Yes, I can hear many laughing, but the expanded set (neon green Li-Ion version) has done everything I've asked of it, and has lots of separately available additional tools that are handy. If I drop them or lose them (lost or theft), I'm not out that much money. Batteries are very reasonably priced, and often go on sale after the holidays. Get the big ones for the saws. I have a couple of corded drills as well, and they get the nod when speed or power is of the essence.

If I had to buy something other than the Ryobi today, I'd look at DeWalt (I think some are made in the USA now) and Milwaukee (if you want lots of other available tools). Ridgid is a decent option too, since if you register your tools for the Lifetime Service agreement I believe they'll replace the batteries when they go bad. Batteries are really where the cost is over the lifetime of the tool.

The Festool drills are good. I love the feel of the little CXS (and the smell of a new Systainer) and would consider that one for use in it's size category. For me, though, full-size cordless drill/drivers are commodity items, IMO, and I buy them as such. I don't make a living from my tools, but I buy better quality where I think it matters. I just don't think it matters much for cordless drills unless you're going to have it in your hand for hours each day.

YMMV! Enjoy you're shopping!

regdor1999 said:

I have several Festool tools (including the corded TS55 track saw... Love it), but I think the drills are the least compelling item to buy Festool. ....

+1
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]

I bought a C12 when Festool had the big sale a while back, it was pretty cheap but the main reason I wanted it was the eccentric chuck to get into real tight corners.

I dislike the C configuration handle, it feels really uncomfortable unless I am drilling straight ahead with my arm along the axis of the drill.

Milwaukee has a M12 Fuel with eccentric chuck available in Europe. I'd buy that if and when it comes to the US.

BillN said:

I dislike the C configuration handle, it feels really uncomfortable unless I am drilling straight ahead with my arm along the axis of the drill.

Milwaukee has a M12 Fuel with eccentric chuck available in Europe. I'd buy that if and when it comes to the US.

Try holding it like with your index finger extended towards the front of the drill. Kind of like how many hold a hand saw. This works for me and I *think* that's how festool recommends it.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/techni...ld-a-drill

jussi said:

[blockquote]BillN said:

Try holding it like with your index finger extended towards the front of the drill. Kind of like how many hold a hand saw. This works for me and I *think* that's how festool recommends it.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/techni...ld-a-drill

[/blockquote]

Hi Jussi, I do grip the drill like that when drilling straight ahead. I have problems when turning the drill 90 degrees to make holes for drawer slides etc. where I don't fit inside the cabinet.

I ended up with the TX 15 drill style to hold the centronic chuck.

First time I used it was an occassion to use the off center chuck. It's my goto drill immediately after using it, the clutching being on the back, the no click click click is great, the led on the battery to tell me level.

By far my favorite. now if they come out with an impact drill again, that might be a toughy as I really do love the little dewalt that uses the same batteries as my other Dewalt.
I have a ton of Festool...more than I should probably...but have never felt compelled to get any of their drills.

I went with Milwaukee (12v and 18v) for all my cordless and have never regretted it for a second. Not to mention for the cost of Festool drills you can buy a lot of Milwaukee cordless tools, and they're all pretty darn good. 5 yr warranty actually beats Festool too.
Festool on the Christmas list, which drill "system" to buy