On one of this Ask This Old House's program a system was installed in the downspout that would allow water to flow into a barrel and once the barrel was full it would shut and continue down the spout. Can anyone tell me what these are called and where they may be obtained?

Thank you,
Herb
I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

An overflow?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I didn't see the show but Home Depot lists what they call a rain barrel diverter kit that sounds like what you are looking for. It's about $30.00
I have used this one now for a couple of years with good results.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00387F...arch_detailpage

hmmmm . . . that's pretty interesting!

does that little screen clog up too bad??

for ours, i've got a flex connector at the top that goes to the rain barrel in the warmer months, then the downspout in the colder months.

for the overflow from the rain barrel, it's the same size as the downspout, and goes right back into the downspout. works pretty decently.
Try Tractor Supply . I saw a bunch of them in there.

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

Downspout question