Have three toilets in the home. Two are fairly new 2-4 years old while the other is probably original to the house (30 years old). In the newer ones, we are getting black stains in the bowls, nothing in the older toilet. All three are used regularly several times a day, but only the newer ones are getting this staining. Staining is a fairly recent phenomenon staring about 8 months ago. Any suggestions as to cause and corrections are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Try using a toilet bowl cleaner called "The Works". Our local Walmart carries it. It worked wonders for an older badly stained toilet in a seldom used bathroom.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
Are they iron oxide stains (rust)? We have old cast iron water mains and they leach allot of rust and particles into the water along with lots of other minerals. It discolors or a little but it cleans right off.
We have the Alexis toilets from sams club and they never plug up and they are the easiest to clean I have ever seen.
Black tells me it's mold. Use some Clorox bleach in it & swish it around with the brush. Make sure no other cleaners are in the bowl before you start.

Use bleach to clean under the rim of the bowl where mildew likes to set up shop.
Then pour some down the spout tube thing under the lid.

It's funny that ours started doing that since last year or so. The only difference I know of is the chlorine chemical used in the water system has changed to something else.

daddo said:

Use bleach to clean under the rim of the bowl where mildew likes to set up shop.
Then pour some down the spout tube thing under the lid.

It's funny that ours started doing that since last year or so. The only difference I know of is the chlorine chemical used in the water system has changed to something else.

Good point. I know many city's here have stopped using chlorine in the water and use some other chemicals and uv treatment.
Was amazing when my neighbor filled his pool and it was crystal clear with tap water instead of dirty looking. Pool guy was amazed too.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, will give several of them a try. The thing that puzzles me the most is that this staining is only on the newer toilets and not the older one. All are on the same water/sewage system, could something be disentegrating in the tanks and leaching down into the bowls? Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

After I replaced our old toilets with new low flush Totos, the first thing I noticed was "other" material stuck to the sides like concrete---even though they advertised an easy clean finish. Since you're only getting this on the new toilets, I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer to see what suggestions they have. Be sure to emphasize that this is not occurring on your old toilet. You might also take a look at the tank water----if some plastic component is breaking down, that could be the source.
Dave

daveferg said:

You might also take a look at the tank water----if some plastic component is breaking down, that could be the source.

This, it might be originating from a flapper valve or some other part, either hosting mold as someone else mentioned, or the part itself is degrading.

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions. Will give each a try and hopefully one of them will work.
Toilet bowl stains (not that kind)