I paid a plumber several hundred dollars for this installation.

They used a gas appliance flexible connector in the firebox.

Comments?

What doe the appliance instructions say. Based on the pic, I see no other way.

Obviously it doesn't get so hot it will melt the plastic knob.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry

The instructions called for aluminum tubing with flared fittings. The plumber said he did not like flared fittings. The plumber went to a hardware store and bought the appliance tubing. It might be ok, and I'll cover it with sand and probably shield with a metal plate.

I'm not sure there is much difference. That is metal tubing with flared ends, right? But, I'd also not like to burn my house down. I might call the manufacturer and ask if that is sufficient.

I'd guess your installer just didn't want (or didn't know how) to fabricate a custom tube.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry

I may just repair it myself. Two options, fabricate a custom tube or use a stainless steel connector specific for this application. I ordered the stainless connector:

linky

Saw a neat trick for bending tubing, fill the tubing with sand to reduce crimping, remove sand after bending.
I've been studying that pic from all different angles and my neck hurts now. WTH is that supposed to be?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Gas burner in a fireplace. The black part is sitting on the floor. Upper left is the rear wall. Upper right with the pipe coming out of it is the side wall.

Why the flex pipe? It looks easy enough to hard pipe from the wall to the regulator.

Twinn
Will post for food.

Here is a better photo:

All of the manufacturers show a flexible connection, might be a code item?

The plastic knob gets covered by an insulated metal box. I'll add some type of insulation to the flexible connection, like a metal plate with fiberglass underneath, covered in sand.

In this jurisdiction, that install has so many code violations, an inspector could pop a blood vessel.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

blackhat said:

In this jurisdiction, that install has so many code violations, an inspector could pop a blood vessel.

Please provide details! This install is in rural Texas, but I want it to be safe.
Gas Fireplace Log Install