I have a 30 year old stran steel roof that all the coating is gone and it is starting to rust. The rust is just starting and not flacky and does not come off on your hand. Is there a coating I can put on the roof that will also cover and stop the rust, or will the rust have to be treated and then a coating put on? All so, if I must coat the rust first, is there a coating that requires not prep or sealing first?

Thank you,
Herb
I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

My shop has an old corrugated metal roof that has been rusted for many many years. I've tried just about everything in a spot and soon it just comes back. Can't find anything to compete with the sun. I figure the metal is so thick it will take many years to rust through at which time I'll just replace it.

I was told an option was an acrylic coating, it might be good for 10 years, but that is very expensive and a pro must do it.
I had my barn roof painted a few years ago. I can't remember what they used, I want to say it was a copper based something... It looked good for 2 years, now the rust is starting to show through. I talked to a local farmer, he said 5-7 years is about as good as it gets.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I think in the mobile home industry they may have something that may help.Just kind of thinking out loud , may be something to look into. Stan
Try truck bed liner. I've used it on some problem outdoor metal projects and it has become my go to rusty metal primer. A couple of coats of that and a top coat of quality outdoor paint should hold up pretty well.
Super Industrial Strength

Larry
Sherwin Williams has an industrial coating. Very expensive. Rust oleum makes a rust off inhibiting primer. Goggle weather barrier and try unifiex ..not sure about that one. The SW and rust oleum are strictly paint type products. The others have more body. Prep work is critical and remember coatings don't fix roof leaks
This is a half-baked idea but here goes. How about the rust converter stuff that stabilizes rust and then a coat of paint or whatever? The idea being to stop the rust where it is and then apply some type of weather-proof coating.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Sandblast them then paint with urethane paint. Or pull it off and have it blasted and galvanized again.

Or the best solution... Pull it off sell it to a decorator then buy new roofing with a better coating. The galvanized stuff doesn't seem to last as well as the regular colored stuff. Hidden fastener standing seam look roofing can be had for just over $1 sqft.
rust never sleeps. cover the rust and its still there waiting and very well could be awake just not seen.
theres a jillion snake oil remedies marketed to go over rust, convert rust,stop rust,etc. its a temporary solution. they dont work. removal of rust is the best way to go.
Metal roof help needed