I need some help from people who have more experience with doors than I do.

I'm trying to choose a door from the Smooth-Star Section of the ThermaTru Catalog. The goal is get more light into our foyer, so we plan on a 3/4 glass door. We want dividers -- the adjoining windows are 2 over 2.

Looking at page 116 of the catalog, it seems that Simulated Divided Lites with Grilles Between Glass are the "best" looking option. Which makes sense becuase I think just have grilles between the glass without outside mullions will look cheap.

But, the catalog later says that the Simulated Divided Lights should not be painted a dark color, if exposed to direct sunlight. (For example, look at pages 171 & 172.) We were planning to paint our door black, dark blue or dark red.

Also, the available colors for the grilles between the glass are limited. Seems to me that it will look odd with a black door and lighter colored grilles between the glass?

What are you thoughts?

Is it important to have the Simulated Divided Lights, or do most people go with grilles between the glass?

Is it important that that grilles between the be the same color as the door?

Well the one hing I hate about our back door is the divided light. It has the grill on the outside. Never again as its a royal pita to clean the grills catch and hold dirt and if you do decide to paint that's a pain too.

Our front door we went with a feather river fiberglass door with one of their stained glass inserts. Very nice door well made and painted easily. Just remember with fiberglass doors you need to use an oil based paint. Ours has been in for 4 years now and still looks like new over than a little chip where someone had the deadbolt out a little when the closed the door. I notice it after painting but no one else does...
Just a few thoughts that might help. I really don't think matching the door to the window divided light is very important. Front doors are usually a stand-alone design that complements the house. For example we have a front window with dividers between the glass panes----SOO much easier to clean than exterior mulleins. And our front door has an oblong glass insert with simulated lead between glass sections.

I'd also think very carefully about your chosen color. If this door gets a lot of sun, you best be sure to find a paint guaranteed to have good UV protection. Otherwise, you'll be repainting the front door every couple years due to fading.
Dave

Interesting. I've never paid much attention to these things. I've always assumed that the good doors have the grilles on the outside.

David Stone said:

Interesting. I've never paid much attention to these things. I've always assumed that the good doors have the grilles on the outside.

Actually the opposite is generally the case. He cheap doors have the grills on the outside. Cheaper to make than the inside ones. When I replaced our back door the cheap door with the exterior grills was $140 the better door with the grills on the inside was nearly $300 and special order only. I happened to find the cheap door in the stack for $60 on clearance cause it was an old sku number but same door...

Also the plastic grills on the outside tend to deteriorate quickly in direct sun and if you have those 4 legged house destroying machines they will chew on it as well.
there is a good reason for the manufacturer to state dark colors and interior divided light are bad Ju JU

Having built and seen the results af a dark colored door in term of longevity leads me to the conclusion these guys are pretty smart

go with 3/4 lite no grilles

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Will this black painted fiberglass door be facing North? If not, stick with a steel door. Personally, I am not drawn to fake grilles between panes of glass or in that regard anything between the panes of glass. SDL if you must but if at all possible I would leave them off on the door and focus on the door and the glass. You did not say if it was to be clear or privacy glass.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.

Speaking of "privacy" glass----kind of a mixed bag. We currently have what you could call privacy glass on our door----great so people can't see into the house easily, but to identify callers----I have to look out a nearby front window----good and bad features.
Dave

I took the window out of the door and had automotive tint applied. Eliminates that problem.

Ed

Good idea!!
Dave
New Front Door: Grille Options Are Driving Me Nuts