I think maple with an ebony finial. Sprayed lacquer. 8" wide x 6 1/2" tall.

Goodness that is very pretty with the two tone colors.
Also what kind of form is that?
The finial is the best I have seen too.

I would really hate to see your stash of wood.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Another job well done!

I've been wanting to try some spray lacquer on a natural edge burl bowl I just finished. Any tips? I have never used spray lacquer before, but was going to pick up some Deft. I love the finish on this piece.
I'm slow, but I do poor work.

Lovely form. Awesome chunk of material. Just totally elegant!!

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
jerickson said:

Another job well done!

I've been wanting to try some spray lacquer on a natural edge burl bowl I just finished. Any tips? I have never used spray lacquer before, but was going to pick up some Deft. I love the finish on this piece.

do several very light coats until you get the finish you want and sand lightly with 400 gr paper. Then beal buff.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member

This was done with a Mohawk rattle can of pre-cat lacquer. As Mel said, several light coats. I very lightly sand with 1200 grit. Didn't buff this one. Wear a respirator.

Thank you for the replies about the lacquer. Would 0000 steel wool be ok for between coats? Also, do I have to worry about melting the finish by buffing? I've done that with poly before.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I just really like this piece and want to copy!
I'm slow, but I do poor work.
Very nice form and the maple looks great lots of figure in it , you did Mother nature proud!
Really pretty, and a very well-formed finial. Is this hollowed out or solid? Doesn't seem like there's much access to hollow it out unless you did it from the bottom.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill

Removed as much as I could from the top before gluing the finial on. Pretty heavy though.
maple??