Thomas Hache, and those of his family produced truly unique work. This marquetry box is a good example.
Their work always seemed to dwell just outside the norm of whatever fashion prevailed at the time.
Good stuff!

WOW

Wonder how long that took to make?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW

Im at a bit of a disadvantage here because I haven't researched the Hache cabinetmaking shop too much.
I imagine they used a scie à arbalète, or as we might say in English, a crossbow saw. That would be a frame saw operated by foot. You can see a photo here on this page. http://www.genealogie.com/v4/forums/rech...87169-p142.html
The saw will be about one fourth down the page. It is shown without the foot pedal.
I don't think the work took as long as you think. For example, on the lower front panel, the left and right compositions are identical, i.e., cut at the same time. The thing I find really interesting and unique is the central panel on the same portion. In silhouette it looks like a butterfly. The reddish brown wood that forms the background (or "fond") has been sand shaded in a mottled fashion. Hot sand was used to randomly scald or scorch the veneer to give it a mottled appearance. It looks a little bit like tortoiseshell. I believe they did this before placing the veneer in the packet. The fond already had a tortoiseshell appearance before cutting the seaweed motif.
That's just a few observations; my opinions.
On preview, I can see that the link doesn't work properly. Google the term "scie à arbalète" to find photos.
Thomas Hache, cabinetmaker of Grenoble