I am planning on making a shaker-esque style drawer pull from an ebony blank (thanks again, pinky!). I would like the pull to attach using a standard screw. My question is, can I tap the ebony using a standard metal tap? or should I try to install a threaded insert? Just looking for some feedback before sacrificing too much of the ebony to the wood turning gods.

Thanks!

IMO you should be able to tap the ebony. Holds an edge very nicely. If there are problems down the road, you could always drill and glue in an insert. Don't think you will need to though.
You could drill and tap it but if you take if off any amount to times it will strip out or even with a lot of abuse like I seen other metal pulls do.

If you plan on keeping it in there drill a hole and epoxy it in.
JMHO

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

I never used ebony, but would predrill cherry, maple, walnut, and other woods, hand thread them onto a mandrill with the same size screw I would use to attach them to the drawer face, turn, finish, and then put on the drawer. I guess main problem would be to drill the correct size hole.

robo hippy

I would just drill and tap the ebony. It's hard enough that it will hold. It may also be hard enough to make installing an insert hard to do.
Rodney
thanks everyone for your input. I will give tapping it a try.
I use machine screws in ebony and african blackwood. As long as you can find a drill close to the pitch diameter of the thread it will work just fine. I don't bother tapping, but just screw directly into the bore. They should tap just fine, though.
Cellulose runs through my veins!

I do put a bit of paste wax on the screw before threading it onto the screw. Big help!

robo hippy
So why is it you're not following Shaker practice? Believe Ol' Roy has a good interpretation in his shaker side table project.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.

MichaelMouse said:

So why is it you're not following Shaker practice? Believe Ol' Roy has a good interpretation in his shaker side table project.

Are you referring to the attachment method? It is kind of a long story, but I prefer to have this one removable in case it needs to be swapped out.
drawer pull attachment