have any of you ever modified how floodlights go into the box? for instance, moving the motion sensor to not be right below the bulbs... or adding an extra box with light to go on with the same sensor?

I'm thinkin since they just use regular box connectors, no reason ya can't clip the wires, and add extensions...etc. Especially if you use LED lights with low draw, no reason this can't be done, right?

Colin

I am not sure but it might help to look at Stealth lights website.

They have seperate sensors and a lot of diffirent products and i have been really happy with some lights from them. They also have a design service and they are probably really helpful if you call them too.

https://www.rabweb.com/products.php?line=outdoor

I've removed and used just the motion sensor.
I have also, screwed an adaptor in a bulb socket, so I could plug in an extension cord, for an additional light or bell, or water sprinkler to chase animals.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer

Pirate said:

I've removed and used just the motion sensor.
I have also, screwed an adaptor in a bulb socket, so I could plug in an extension cord, for an additional light or bell, or water sprinkler to chase animals.

oh wow, clever idea...
at my old house I had the lights in one electrical box and the motion sensor mounted separately.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I used a screw in socket adapter and wired a light to let me know in the house and office if someone enters the shop at night. This can be done wireless too.
You can put the motion sensor anywhere you want, or add several more lights. My house has 6 lights controlled off one sensor. When first installed I used a cheap $20 motion sensor that came with the lights and kept having trouble getting the lights to stay on no matter what settings I tried. Realized after a few months I had too much wattage on the cheap sensor. 700 watts was definitely too much. Replaced the cheap sensor with a stealth rated for 800 watts and have never been happier. Going on 4 years with it now. Someday I'll switch to LED when the prices come down a bit. Can't recommend the stealth sensor enough, even came with a nice little "shield" to cover half the sensor so cars from the road don't set it off.

I have ten motion detector light around my home and shop. During strong winds or torrential rainfall some of them come on. There are other times one will come on for no apparent reason. I'm guessing a limb moving in the breeze or an animal walking by. I have gotten so used to one or more going off I pay little attention to them. The best thing about them is whenever I come home at night they light everything up for me. Also when guests leave I never have to turn the lights on or off for them.

I have them all around the house, shop and barn. even on the darkest nights (gets pretty dark with no city lights around) you can walk from the house, around the shop and to the barn and they'll light the way as you go.

most of mine are LED flood lights with the attached sensor.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

modifying flood lights with motion detectors