I've been punching holes in our walls in various places for a major rewire. The walls are plaster and lath. The plaster layer is 1/4" thick and the lath is just under 3/8", for a total thickness of just under 5/8".

This means a drywall patch with 5/8" drywall on the studs would be proud enough of the surrounding wall to make the patching a little more annoying to feather.

Alternatively, I could patch with 1/4" drywall, leaving the lath at the periphery of the patch.

Or I could cut away lath all the way to studs and patch with 1/2" drywall, leaving a shallow that would be easily filled and feathered with about 1/16" of compound.

Just thinking aloud. Leaning towards the 1/4" approach...

Why not replaster?
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry

Mr_Mike said:

Why not replaster?

I'd have to figure out a way to replace the lath in places I've cut it away (most of my holes are in the 5" x 5" range. Seems like a lot more work. The plastering itself may not be that bad but I've never done it before.

live4ever said:

[blockquote]Mr_Mike said:

Why not replaster?

I'd have to figure out a way to replace the lath in places I've cut it away (most of my holes are in the 5" x 5" range. Seems like a lot more work. The plastering itself may not be that bad but I've never done it before.

[/blockquote]

Neither have I, but I'd like to learn.

I'm sure that patching lathe is straight forward. Probably some type of metal lathe that can be inserted behind the existing somehow. Besides, you have to figure out how to attach the drywall patches to existing anyhow.

You might find it produces a better patch too.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I replastered when I could. I would fix large holes with drywall. In our house, it wasn't like the plaster was flat anyway. Usually what I would do with a hole is get metal lath and screw it into the wood lath. Then use plaster to fill the hole. Then I would feather it out with drywall compound. Plaster is funny to mix, it cures way too fast if the water is warm, use the coldest water possible. I'm no expert on that though. I thought this was a lot easier than small pieces of drywall.
You should be able to get 3/8 and 1/2 DW. I know we can get that here. Not special order. We have a lot of old homes here that get patched with DW. I did one that the plaster and lath was 3/4" so 2 - 3/8" worked well.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
heres how ive done it somewhat. gotta scroll down a bit to see:
http://blog.charlestonpc.com/repairing-d...-property/

after getting the hole to size and backers screwed in( i use plywood as it doesnt split), i measure total thickeness needed. so, if using 1/2" drywall patch and total thickness is 3/4" i make some shims 3/16" , put them between backer and drywall and screw patch to backers. then tape,mud,feather.
seems to work pretty good and no need to cut back to studs
in your case it reads like backers and 1/2" drywall would work good.
For a 5 x 5 hole I would patch with drywall and not worry about hitting the studs.

Cut a piece of drywall 7 x 7. Score the back and remove the outer 1" from each edge leaving the face paper intact. Mud the paper and edge of the drywall and place in the hole. Smooth the paper flap flat to the wall. Once dry feather in like any butt joint.

Of you could also shave down the plaster around the hole so the flap is even with the finish surface. The patch will be invisible.

Twinn
Will post for food.
Plaster patching with drywall