I am designing my basement shop and I have a closet under the stairs that I want to keep my shop vac, dust collector, and air compressor. This will minimize some of the noise in the shop.

Here is my question. Can I effectively use a Ridgid shop vac with a 15' hose going into my dust deputy separator and then into the dust collector? I see they sell 20'-25' hoses but it seems that it will lose effectiveness the further away it gets from the vac.

I would not mind hearing from someone that uses a closet for their dust collection.

A friend of mine did something similar and doesn't seem to have any issues with distance from the vac. You can take a look here...

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."

Thanks, Dave. Interesting website your friend has.

Birdseye Bill said:

Thanks, Dave. Interesting website your friend has.

Yeah.... Joe's an interesting guy...

He's got several videos on YouTube under the Twisted Knot Workshop moniker. A couple actually show me doing all the work building his shop.
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
I use a shop vac for my dust collecting blade guard on the TS. It is outside the shop in an unfinished area of the barn. I used 2" PVC conduit and fittings to connect to a 55 gal. plastic drum. The pipe passes thru the shop wall with a total length of ~15' The shop vac connects to the drum. I have 2.5" retractable hose on the saw end.

The hose also allows me to connect to my router table or sander and I use it for cleaning the shop, too. I use a remote controlled outlet for the vac.
Please pray for our troops! Semper Fi!

Bob Ross (I used to be called "Doc")
www.theborkstore.com

Dust collection with shop vacuum