I'm looking at foaming my basement walls and just started looking at the old armored cable winding it's way around my sill plate. I really don't want to cover it with foam, but since it's in good condition I don't want to replace it just yet either. The electrical in this house is something of an odd fish anyway. The whole house was originally wired on 2 circuits. When I do wire work I always upgrade and rewire each room to its own circuit. I don't want to start any large projects like this right now. Can you think of any work arounds?
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

Can you disconnect/move it out of the way temporarily? Maybe string it along the ceiling long enough to do the work , then put it back in place?
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Get all of your utilities done first (plumbing, electrical, data, etc) before you spend the $$ on spray foam. No point in doing the insulation and then having to hack the crap out of it later.

jlanciani said:

Get all of your utilities done first (plumbing, electrical, data, etc) before you spend the $$ on spray foam. No point in doing the insulation and then having to hack the crap out of it later.

I'm kinda here on this one, too. Getting stuff done out of major job order presents more costs in one way or the other. Seems to me you're doing at least part of the work if you move it out of the way, anyway.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Yeah, do the electrical work first, along with everything else, then insulate.
EatenByLimestone said:

I'm looking at foaming my basement walls...

This doesn't sound like a good idea. Are you sure this is a recommended usage from the manufacturer?
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.

It is, but why do you feel this is a bad idea?
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

Spray foam insulation is highly controversial topic that I have either read or seen reported in building news. From what I have gathered the foam installed properly is what it says, a great insulator but it has been known to off-gas, shrink, break down and fall apart.

Another concern I would have would be the possibility of foundation wall water leakage wicking up the basement wall into the wall framing causing rot and expensive repair. Application methods might contribute to or eliminate this concern.

I do think spray foam has good value for many applications but I'm not sold on it for a basement yet. What have you learned?
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Might have a work around might not. Can you run stubs of conduit into the spaces you need so all you need to do is connect to the stubs when you have the time to get to the electrical? I have a switch that operates the plug in front of the front window that is for christmas tree lights and a stub out of that box that goes below the house so when I wire for exterior lights they will also be controlled by the same switch. The walls are all foamed the stub is in place and easy to attach to I can pull wire into any of the boxes on the room from there if I had the need
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Why don't you want to bury the armored cable in the foam? Are you worried about it failing? If you are, and it were accessible and it failed would you replace it or try and splice it?
Old work conduit?