Looking for larger jointer. I found a used dj20 for $500 and a grizzly G0609 for $750. I would love the extra 4" capacity of the grizzly but not if means the quality is much worse. Which would you choose?

If operable the 12" Griz at 750 bux is what I would go for. Is it 3 phase electric, and if yes does that pose a problem for you is all I would ask.

The dj20 at 500 bux is also a very nice deal, again if operable, and powered by electric you have without having to source a VFD/RFD or the like to convert power from 3 phase to single phase.

I would think there is also going to be a space consideration with the 12" Griz being some bigger than the 8" DJ, which are quite compact for the usable top surface.

If it was me, I'd have bought both of them already before taking time to ask, and sold off the one I didn't want, because they are both great deals, again if they operate as they are supposed to. I can about assure you, if you wait to long, neither will still be there.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
The DJ20 is a fine machine. I have the Yorkcraft version, which is essentially the same. That said, good luck getting parts. If you need anything more specific than, say, a metric bolt, you'll be searching the net for used stock. Delta,. which is no longer Delta, does not stock parts. Neither do the online replacement part vendors. Scan through this to see what I mean.

DJ20 parts -- "Obsolete" is a favorite word

Not that this should put you off the purchase. $500 is a heck of a deal. But know what you're getting into.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Although I'm sure the DJ20 would serve you well, if you really wanted a larger jointer I'd say G0609. Even though that specific Grizzly model is discontinued, you get the benefit of a manufacturer that still exists and offers support and accessories for it.

Go with the 12"

The extra 4" will be there when you need it. Not so on the 8".

I paid $900 for my used 12" Bridgewood. $750 for a 12" Griz is a good deal. You can get blades from Holbren.
WoodTinker
I have to admit I don't understand people's reluctance to buy Grizzly machinery. In the beginning the quality may have been an issue but for at least the last 20 years grizzly machinery has been on par with most of the other main stream brands. In fact today I would buy a Grizzly machine before I bought a Delta machine. CS and your chance of getting parts if anything should go wrong is much better with the Grizzly. One other thing which may or may not be an issue is the motor size on the DJ20 if you add a helical cutter head. One of the shops I work in has an older DJ 20 with a Byrd head. Face jointing anything over 4 inches is pretty slow going. The motor isn't strong enough for the helical head and will stall unless you take it really slow. Newer motors may be larger but that machine just doesn't have the HP. As long as the Grizzly has a 3 hp motor that should not be a problem.

Yeah they may be on par with todays offerings, but nowhere near yesterdays offerings. There's not a pole long enough that I'd touch Griz with.
Go for the Griz, if you don't and I find I may try to get it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Bumps Fred into a closet and locks door, runs off with money in hand to find seller. Ummmmmm, hey Fred he says through the door, where was this guy located.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I have the DJ20. but if I ran across a griz 12" in good shape for a good price I'd sell the DJ20 and buy the griz.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Which used jointer? Delta 8" or griz 12"?