New tires seem too small, they need to be stretched over the wheel with considerable force. This can be done by hand. Grizzly tech support suggested putting the tires in hot water to make the job easier. I did not want to put wet tires on my cast iron wheels causing rust. And when something slipped around all those sharp edges in the saw housing, there would have been blood, again causing rust (I'm very protective of my big grizzly bear). With the wheels clamped securely to a very stout bench the job went well with cold tires.

And with the wheels off I was able to turn the bearings with my finger in the center. This test is much more sensitive than just spinning the wheel, 3 out of 4 bearings had a lumpy feel and needed to be replaced. The manual listed two different bearings as the same part so I called Grizzly. They were very helpful but found that the manual and their records do not match my 10 year old saw. I took the old bearings to an industrial bearing supplier and got the right ones right off the shelf.

In the future, for bearings these are the go to folks for woodworkers:

Accuratebearing.com
Toll Free 800-323-6548 or 630-543-2100
Fax Toll Free 800-323-3116 or 630-543-2116
E-mail: sales@accuratebearing.com

Ask for Lynne and have the bearings you want to replace in front of you.

She is very good at what she does and will give you a plethora of options and most likely have the best price you will find.

Are the wheels on your saw crowned? If not, you need to crown the tires so the blade will track properly.

Go look for bandsaw wheel crowning at http://owwm.org/. You will have to sign up to read the forums. As you own a grizzly, they will not discuss that as it's foreign made, but there are a plethora of posts on crowning bandsaw tires.

Unlike Woodnet, threads on OWWM don't expire so helpful information never goes away.

I've never understood that policy here and the huge amount of good information provided by members that has been lost is disgraceful.
chris
If you just wipe off the tires when you remove them from the hot water, they will be dry and make it a lot easier to stretch over the wheels. Worked for me.

John

+1 Hot water and dry

The wheels are crowned and the saw is running great. Why would a manufacturer not crown the wheels? And if that's common, why would crowned tires not be available?

Yes hot and dry would work but with the wheel clamped to the bench it was easy enough to skip that step. Installing on the machine just looked hazardous, and I found the bad bearings as a result.

Shovel Man said:

The wheels are crowned and the saw is running great. Why would a manufacturer not crown the wheels? And if that's common, why would crowned tires not be available?

Yes hot and dry would work but with the wheel clamped to the bench it was easy enough to skip that step. Installing on the machine just looked hazardous, and I found the bad bearings as a result.

The wheels on my 16" Walker Turner are flat. It was manufactured in 1939 so who know why.

Again, it would make sense if crowned tires were available but to the best of my knowledge they aren't. I had to trim my tires to fit the width of the wheels to boot.

Did you glue the bands?
chris

doobes said:

[blockquote]Shovel Man said:

why would crowned tires not be available?

The hobby woodworking user typically can't get them on straight.

If you want your tires to get floppy and loose over time, don't glue them on and use poly tires instead of rubber.

Bob Vaughan said:

If you want your tires to get floppy and loose over time, don't glue them on and use poly tires instead of rubber.

[citation needed]

Alex Grigoriev said:

[blockquote]Bob Vaughan said:

[citation needed]

[/blockquote]

The name of the poster is the only citation needed.
Bob Vaughan is an authority on such subjects. Look him up.
"If you make listening and observation your occupation you will gain much more than you can by talk.." --Lord Robert Baden-Powell

doobes said:

I had to trim my tires to fit the width of the wheels to boot.

Have you decided you need to trim the tires by measuring them before installation?
Changing a Band Saw Tire and Wheel Bearings