This has been a long ride.

About 5 years ago, I bought this sad sack off of CL for $20:

I went through the disassembly:

And realized one of the handwheels was not original and the other one was broken. So a set of handwheels was bought from Grizzly and machined to fit:

And after a significant delay, the rehab began in earnest. I treated all the internals with evaporust and then painted everything up:

Once the paint was dry, it was reassembled:

At this stage, I decided I wanted a base for the unit that looked like this:

So first came the base:

Which was painted and the saw mounted:

And after another long time, the remainder was built and the final product looks like this:

So over 5 years from start to finish and a solid year on the actual rehab itself.

Whew. I think I'm about rehabbed out, for now
chris

Dude, you really should have broke that down into 4-5 posts.
Someone on dial up is going to be pizzed.

Herb G said:

Wow, after that really nice write up with detailed photos the only comment you can make is some dude with dial-up is going to be "pizzed"?

I thought it was a great post and great restoration and contained some good ideas for storage. Thanks for posting it Chris.

Greg
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

gregr said:

[blockquote]Herb G said:

Wow, after that really nice write up with detailed photos the only comment you can make is some dude with dial-up is going to be "pizzed"?

I thought it was a great post and great restoration and contained some good ideas for storage. Thanks for posting it Chris.

Greg

[/blockquote]

LOL!

It's Herb, the resident curmudgeon, he's harmless

Thanks for the good words.

I hate to think how many hours I've got in this thing. Probably would have been cheaper to buy a new saw.....
chris
Very !
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Great job, I'm sure it's now way better than when new...joe
I can remember dial up----I would not have been very whizzsed waiting to see that!!!

NICE JOB!!!!!!!!
What an awesome refurb! Great job documenting the process too. You've got a nice saw there.
Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Nice job. Do you have dust collection for the router?
Don

DFJarvie said:

Nice job. Do you have dust collection for the router?

Not yet. I'm planning on putting a hole in the back of the cabinet with the router. I've got a Y dust collection fitting with a 2" branch that I can plumb into the hole.
chris
Craftsman Cabinet Saw Rehab