History. A.O. Smith 40 gal. natural gas heater. Mfg. 1997, probably installed by previous owner around 2000. I've used it for 13 years, myself, cloths washer and dishwasher, so not real hard use. Installed in garage and I always draw off 5 gallons to use when I wash my truck, to clean settlement out of bottom of heater. Today I got rust and after 15 gallons still a little cloudy. I believe in preventative maintenance, so does this need to be replaced before a major leak, by me, or has this still some life. Next question, what should I replace it with? Did I hear that there are some new regulations concerning water heaters? Live in small town Ohio so I don't have to worry about any local regulations/inspections. As usual, thank you in advance for viewing and comments.

Jim

The water heater was born with a 6 year warranty and is now almost 20 years old... I would replace it.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Personally, I wouldn't screw around with it. You'll probably save some on gas costs with a new one anyway.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Probably doesn't need replacement "immediately", but a good idea to replace proactively.

New WH regs came into effect in 2015, basically just that WH need to be more energy efficient.

I installed a new 50 gallon (propane) semi-high efficiency Rheem water heater a couple months ago. Electronic ignition, electronic damper and I think a bit more insulation contribute to its higher efficiency rating. But I heat with propane which is way more expensive (here) than NG.

If you are going to hire out the replacement, just find a good installer and go with whatever's recommended.

If DIY, check the reviews on HomeDepot, Lowes. I know some people have gotten great deals from scratch and dent clearinghouses.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
My water heater is about 12 years old but still seems fine. Next week I am going to buy another one of the same size and store it in the garage.Last time the hot water heater went it was on Christmas eve.I had to wait until the stores opened to get a replacement.This time I will be prepared.
mike
I bought an AO Smith gas heater for my shop from supplyhouse.com.
Free shipping and came right to my door.
I was buying fittings and in-floor heat parts at the time.
This site is excellent. Check out the anode section.

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/
Time to replace.
Mr Google says avg life expectancy of gas water heater is 10-15 yrs. It is worth replacing just for energy savings and lower risk of catastrophic failure. Tip: Use a sharpie to write the installation date somewhere on the tank. You will thank yourself whenever problems arise in the future.

My house was built in 1978. The original heater lasted about 18 years until I replaced it two years ago. The plumber set the new one in a drip pan and ran an overflow pipe to the outside wall. I think it is required by city code now. Good idea because I know two friends who had extensive water damage due to HWH failure in unoccupied home.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com

I'm suggest a condensing gas water heater. Mine is AO Smith Vertex model. Installed it about 5 years ago. It gives me a tank and the advantage of instant hot water. I have 2 teenagers and a younger one. I do not run out of Hot water. It also costs nothing to run. I live near the twin cities, and my gas bill last month was $15.88 for natural gas. We have a gas cook top too. It Cost about the same as a 50 Gal Gas after the energy rebates and closing off my roof flue. JLC had a good article on them http://www.jlconline.com/how-to/plumbing...-heaters_o, this is why I picked it. Did have one issue, that the Tech could not figure out but the main board was replaced under warranty then had another heating guy discovered a relay was also bad. He did not even charge me since I loaned him a tool he needed for a project. Good Luck, Dan
Water Heater replacement time?