For lack of a better description....

The church I attend is a "1970s contemporary", done in a surround fashion with a peak in the middle of the sanctuary with a large wooden cross hanging down.  Because of the arrangement with congregation, choir and pastor looking on form four different sides, the cross had four horizontal arms, rather than the normal two.  About three months ago, a clap of thunder was enough to snap the 46-year-old cable and it came crashing to the floor.  Thankfully, it was the middle of the night and no one was under it.  Some might attribute this to divine displeasure. 
Laugh  I'm inclined to go with bad engineering.  The cross was solid oak, weighed 75 pounds, and was suspended on 1/16" cable.  Grossly inadequate!  It was decided we needed something much lighter, but with the same visual impact.  This is what I came up with.  QSWO ripped into 1" square sticks and joined at the intersection with cross lap joints.

[Image: IMGP6371_zpsvrnnd4hx.jpg]

Not a great picture, but you get the idea.  Same size as the original (78" h, 54" across) and 1/3 the weight at 25 pounds.  We also hung this one with 1/8" cable rated to 400 pounds. 
Yes
A retirement dedicated to fine woodworking and bad golf.

Excellent!!!!
Yes
Yes
I particularly like the way the arms of the cross seem to be reaching out. Very appropriate!

Dave

Very Nice!!!!!!!!!!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Wow, I like it!  It's especially cool that there's a cruciform shape at the end of each cross-member.  I'm still trying to wrap my mind around that center arrangement, though.  Very cool.
Cool
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop

Could you post a picture of the center of it where all the joints are? Great job!

(08-29-2016, 08:28 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Could you post a picture of the center of it where all the joints are?   Great job!

Okay, here are a couple of screenshots from my Sketchup drawing.  Not sure how helpful they might be.  I should point out that to assemble this as it is shown is, I believe, impossible.  There is a "cheat" in it which is not visible in the finished project.  If anyone cares to speculate where it is.......??
Wink

[Image: Cross%20Center%202_zpsvgruyyn7.jpg]
[Image: Cross%20center_zpslcsmx7pg.jpg]
that's nice.  I like your attitude about the fate of the old cross, sometimes things just happen. If it was a sign, what would you do, convert to Zoroastrianism?
Very cool!  The crown of thorns suspended above is a nice touch.  Is that original or was it added for the new cross?
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(08-30-2016, 06:50 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: Very cool!  The crown of thorns suspended above is a nice touch.  Is that original or was it added for the new cross?

We had one above the old cross, which was also destroyed when the old cross crashed to the floor.  The one in the picture is a new one made by a lady in the congregation.  Hot melt glue is handy stuff.
Big Grin

(08-29-2016, 08:28 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Could you post a picture of the center of it where all the joints are?   Great job!

I am going to try and clean up my Sketchup drawing and post a closeup of it.  An actual photo at this point would be difficult, as it is 15" in the air.  Should have documented better as I was building it.
Uhoh
"Three Dimensional" Cross