Lubrication / Protection
A few days ago I cleaned, sanded, and treated my lathe ways with Boeshield T9.  Love that stuff!  The tail stock glided effortlessly!  By to day it had turned to a gummy sludge.  What do you guys use?
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood

Lami-lube
Cleanup with WD-40
Just did mine using course pad stuck to wire brush on angle grinder.  I saw this used somewhere and it really cleaned them.  Then used wax,  Now have to be careful when sliding the tail stock.
Bob
(09-14-2016, 04:29 PM)Shop Dad Wrote: Cleanup with WD-40

Yea, me too. Spray it on a paper towel and wipe them down, old school I guess.
Steve K

(09-14-2016, 05:20 PM)Steve K Wrote: Yea, me too. Spray it on a paper towel and wipe them down, old school I guess.

Yep. Me too. Don't want any effortless sliding of components made to lock down, just relatively rust free ways.  I turn wet wood , and WD 40 applied after keeps them smooth but not slick.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Johnson's Paste Wax (the original, not the new floor version)
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.

I have had the Boeshield get sticky on me too. I do use Glidecoat, which has another name now, but some times it is too slick. It does help the banjo slide, and mine always seem to be a bit sticky. No problems with lock downs. 

robo hippy
WD-40/Johnson Paste wax.  Slides good, locks down tight.
1+ similar to Bobs.  I use a medium cup brush in my grinder.  Will polish up a TS top, jointer, lathe ways like a new dime.
1+ on Michael's too slick.  I used spray on graphite once and it was almost impossible to lock the tailstock.  Had to remove it with solvent and 0000.
Now use the cup brush, followed with a rust converter (to get into any pits), then automotive paste wax.  I prefer wax over an oil because it does not collect dust as badly.  I usually just apply a thin coat of wax at the end of the turning and it is dry rub off the excess the next time.
Tip.  Get four small magnets and make little holders (think push pin size).  A small section of trash bag will cover the necessary parts of the ways, the magnets hold it tight to the ways, and it will scrunch up as you have to move the tailstock.  I only use it with wet wood; in particular wood, like oak, which tends to rust things quickly.
My ways, your ways