A few years ago, I built a mobile air filtration device from an old HVAC blower.  Would a dryer motor do the same thing on a smaller scale?  This one is sitting in my garage.  It's 1/3 hp, 6.4 amps, 120v, 1725 RPM.  Thanks for any thoughts.  --Rich
[Image: 20160918_181103.jpg][/img]

That's a pretty small motor to move much air.
Doing it right cost less than doing it over

Welcome TexasWally.

I used a fan/motor about that size for the shop built HEPA filter I built and it works just fine.   

John
Not a bad idea for an airfilter motor as dryers move more air than most commercially made shop aircleaners. They even push air at a decent pressure because they have duct runs to push the air down.
Agree that it's too small for a dust collector, but just about right for an air filter. 

Do measure the current draw against the nameplate value.  Without ductwork, and with clean filters, it may move too much air and therefore draw too much current, resulting in shortened life.  Potentially very short.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
They can do upwards of 200 cfm- don't know the available static. It might be good for a sanding table.

I don't have a wiring diagram for the motor.   Is black hot, red neutral and the yellow and orange to be ignored?
I've got a furnace fan, with a 1/2, or 3/4 hp motor, forget the exact size. It came with a cobbled together DC unit the guy who owned my current 15" planer had made. He had passed, and the deal I made with his Daughter was I take the POS DC out of her hair, and then we did my deal on the planer. The actual box is plenty tight so that isn't the problem, but it would hardly suck at all. I've since burned the box, but still have the furnace fan, and the motor.

If someone local wants it to try to make this, it's free for the asking

(09-19-2016, 10:49 AM)daddo Wrote: They can do upwards of 200 cfm- don't know the available static. It might be good for a sanding table.

Thinking that is about all they could do. Gave it some thought, NAH
No
No
No still would take up space, and not come close to earning it's keep
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
what year of production is the motor?

Watching this one.... 
Uh, oh - another spam placeholder.  Here comes the banhammer.  
Uhoh
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Clothes dryer motor for dust collection?