I bought several surplus industrial tools. In the lot was an oddly ground drill bit. Seems this is deliberate but I can find no reference anywhere to this kind of grind. Does anybody recognize it? It sort of like a Forstner bit for metal.  It is a 1/4" drill bit so it was hard to get a good picture. Any ideas?

[Image: 30389151601_7282a2beda.jpg]

[Image: 30358730712_4db7344671.jpg]
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.

I am guessing a brad point style of dolling bit. I have some from Vermont Tooling that have a Brad point and a spur on 2 sides.
Cant find them but this is close.
https://www.amazon.com/Vermont-American-...drill+bits
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

It appears it may just be a step point done by someone who needed to have one and did not want to buy one 

[Image: Dewalt-Pilot-Point-Drill-Bits.jpg]

the one thing it is not is a brad point drill
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I've used it once to go through some 14 ga sheet metal and it went through it fast,

that tends to strengthen my conclusion that it is a custom ground step drill
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Need help identifying the weird grind on this drill bit