I've been considering replacing my 20 year Craftsman drill press for a while now. It's a 13", 5 speed and it's worked, but I've outgrown it for the most part. So I'm in the market for a new machine.

It has to have a 6" quill stroke, and the depth stop needs to be a rod with jam nuts (I really don't like the dial style stops). I'm looking to go new entirely because I don't want a restoration project. So that really narrows down my list to Powermatic, Nova, and Rikon (Delta is all but dead so that one's right out).

The Powermatic 2800B and Nova Voyager are within $100 of each other (PM $1400, Nova $1500) so I consider the price difference a non-issue. But now the Rikon 30-217 has a 6" stroke drill press and it's $900. That's a lot less than the other 2, and I'm very happy with my 10-325 bandsaw, so I'm seriously considering it. My only real concern about the Rikon is it's speed range. 200 rpm on the low end should be just fine, but its top speed is 2200 rpm and that seems a bit slow to me.

So what are people's thoughts on these three machines, and the speed range on the Rikon in particular?
Jason

Do you do any metal working? If you're just a woodworker like me then the speed range would be fine on the Rikon and $600 would buy me a lot of wood. In the 15 years or so I've had my Delta (sadly 1 of only 2 Delta machines I haven't offloaded) I have only moved it from its lowest setting maybe 10 times.
-Marc

I'm happy with my $400.00 stand alone. If I were to spend $1,500 and needed it to be that nice, I'd find a used mill that will drill those exact holes.
Raised
I just finished reading a review of the Nova DP in the current issue of WWJ. Admittingly, their job is to sell things for Rockler, but that DP really looks like the cat's butt. Even so, I'd have a hard time handing over $1500 for a DP. But if I had Bill Gates' money, that's the one I would get.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Drilling metal or plastic precisely?
Then a Chinese press (<1000$) will be a frustration.

To get 6" of accurate quill travel takes a well made press.
And appreciate, that a drill is only held at one end, the chuck end.
When it hits your coordinates at 4-6" (of quill extension), it (the drill) could be anywhere.

Now drilling deep holes in wood is not a problem for the worst of presses.

The 2 most desirable features of a press, in my view, are continuously variable speed (squiggle/shake free), and a well made low runout keyless chuck. A VFD and a good chuck will not be found on cheap presses.

The Nova is worth a look. But well made presses (for metal, plastic, and wood), start at 2500$ min.
Only wood? Your Sears tool.
Pat Warner
700 lbs may be too heavy and no var drive, but you can do anything you want with 2 hp and a plethora of speeds and accuracy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MILL-DRILL-RONG-...1575294679
I don't blame you for wanting to upgrade from the Cman, but not sure I would go with another Asian machine either.  I think it really depends on what you plan on doing with the press and the degree of accuracy you want.  If its just woodworking and you want a 6" quill travel,  then I guess your choices would be fine, if not a bit spendy.  You dont want a restoration project, but there are plenty of good,  REAL industrial grade machines like PM 1150's and 1200's, Delta Rockwell 15 and 17", Clausings, etc that are capable of metal working accuracy when equipped with right chuck and good bearings.  These were machines that sold for thousands of dollars in their day 20, 30 and 40 years ago, when there was still quite a bit of industry and industrial education going on in this country.   They are still available, if you know where to look and have to patience to wait to find one.

I would take Pat's (routerman) advice, he knows what he is talking about when it comes to precision work with a press.
No recommendations for a new one, but I have a Delta 18-900L 18-Inch Laser Drill Press floor model I am going to be selling. It has light uses and is only about 2 years old. I am in Mid Mi. PM me if you are interested
I appreciate all the comments and I've got some food for thought. Thanks!
Jason

A vintage Powermatic 1150 or 1200 is my recommendation. Variable Speed would be ideal.

I found an 1150 (non VS) for $175 on CL in great shape.
Drill Presses