Well B&D just acquired the craftsman empire for 900 mil$ from sears. Sears will be able to use the name for 5 years without paying a royalty. The hand tool warranty is unchanged.

B&D also now owns Lennox and Irwin a long with other stuff from buying Newell.

So less and less choice in the market as those products will be homogenized as well. Not a huge impact but still...

I thought the Washington Post stated that Sears could sell Craftsman for 10 years without paying royalties (assuming they last that long).
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
I think it will be a huge impact, at least to those who still value their mechanics tools (like me). It won't take long for B&D/Stanley to completely trash the whole line. They're just doing what they do best, I guess.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Making Harbor Freight, and those Pittsburgh tools looking better all the time. $6.99 and it has a lifetime warranty or just pitch them and buy some new ones, your choice.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Bought a Pittsburgh tool set for my Mom's condo, good quality tools for the price.
(01-05-2017, 12:36 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I think it will be a huge impact, at least to those who still value their mechanics tools (like me). It won't take long for B&D/Stanley to completely trash the whole line. They're just doing what they do best, I guess.

Sears already trashed most of the line anyway, if anything I expect the quality to stay the same or maybe go up.  For the quality to go up people will have to pay more and the problem there is many refuse to and those that are willing to already have found better alternatives such as the German companies that make not only great quality but better ergonomics too.   The middle ground for tools is dying it is becoming Harbor Freight and Knipex/Wera/Snap On etc the same is happening to machines, in the end it is consumer driven no matter how much we want to blame the companies.
(01-05-2017, 07:11 PM)Huxleywood Wrote:  in the end it is consumer driven no matter how much we want to blame the companies.

I absolutely agree with that. This forum demonstrates it; there are more posts (probably) about price than other features of a tool like durability, quality, etc. Not a bash, just an observation.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Just heard on the news that B&D intends on building a plant somewhere in the US. Guess we will wait and see if there is a magnitude shift in quality.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
(01-06-2017, 08:58 AM)jppierson Wrote: Just heard on the news that B&D intends on building a plant somewhere in the US.  Guess we will wait and see if there is a magnitude shift in quality.

Yeah that was in one of the articles I read as well. First thought would be the quality would be much worse if they made it here because they would lower the material quality and the quantity of material in products to keep profits high. Will hope for the best but they did say that they are going to expand the product line which could mean rebranding but hopefully new products.
We can only hope and pray that management takes the opportunity to implement real change. Since they are going to tout "MADE IN THE USA" every effort must be made to ensure that their product meets or exceeds consumer expectation that goes along with the pronouncement. It is management's responsibility to define engineering quality goals, identify and procure quality raw materials, and control quality of actual manufacturing processes. My advice to B&D is "Don't you even think about cheapening the MADE IN USA brand!" We want manufacturing to return to the USA, but we sure don't want to be associated with manufacturing junk. By the way, it is my belief that if you do your jobs right, with the consumer in mind, high quality doesn't mean high price. Consumers will respond to proven quality and that in-turn equates to better investor return.

CHALLENGE:
B&D you have the opportunity to show the world what it means to be MADE IN THE USA --- don't foul it up.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
Black and Decker bought out another brand