So i just got my knife setting jig. Its the two "A" shapes with a bar between them. The blades are 15" and from what i guess, came with the planer. Its an AMT brand.
I watched videos and read how to set them but im having a tiny problem...i think. Maybe im too critical. With the jig holding the blades in by hand pressure,,,(spring type adjustment).... as i tighten the gib screws the blade raises enough to slide paper under the jigs feet. I can rock the jig ever so slightly. Sometimes one side, sometimes both.
If i set the jig on the cutterhead area with no blades, it sits with nice flush contact.
What should i do? Or is that tiny play ok

Push down on the jig and tighten the bolts a little at a time. It is important to alternate the tightening 

If it is still doing it make sure the knives are not bottoming out on some random sawdust or debris in the head. 

I know you did a refurb on the planer is it possible the spring holes have something in them? it would not take much to make the spring collapse fully 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I will check the spring holes again and try using a shop vac on them. I thought the gib might be pushing the knife up somehow. I hate troubleshooting things like this.
The gib is generally the culprit in the equation as you deduced That is why  I suggested pushing down on the setting gauge as you tighten the screws. Also on the gibs make sure they are clean as well  sometimes I found it necessary to touch up the heads of the screws if there are protrusions  

on the spring holes I think I would get in there with a pointy thing like an awl or a flat blade screwdriver and scratch around to loosen anything up
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I was pressing down harder than i think was required. I never did this before and i was thinking , this cant be good for the edge of the knife.
There was rust,,,lots of rust, that i had to clean. Im going to clean the holes and check the gibs for anything. Ill also check the knife slot. Cleaning it was much easier with the cutterhead removed but im not going thru that again.
I just went over 2 blade slots and cleaned the spring holes and any light rust spots. As i tightened the gib screws i could feel the gauge raise while holding the end of it. I tried different screw patterns of tightening and got very close on one knife. Set on one end, light tapping foot to foot on the other.
As i went to the second knife,,i couldnt get it close enough at all and gave up after trying quite a few times. I'll try more on the weekend.
What im thinking is maybe the gibs want to be in the same slot they were originally installed in?
you completely disassembled the head of all the knives? 

that explains more about why you are struggling 

I would set all the knives in place not caring much about knife height initially tightening each knife in place by just snugging the gibs on each knife enough to hole it in place then tightening all the gibs on all the knives. once you have done this go back and set the knives properly one at a time 

the problem with removing all the knives is that the head lacks enough structure to prevent it from moving around. That should make things a lot easier 

Joe

Now thats sounds like a great suggestion. I didnt realize one blade at a time could be forcing the head to do things.
I had the entire assembly apart,,all rust was removed,,heres some pics showing why:

[Image: 17_zpsf23a2c60.jpg]

[Image: 6_zps1b8e0016.jpg]

[Image: 8_zpsa4749193.jpg]
That's rust!  Do you have any after pictures?  What method did you use to remove the rust?
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Ill try to take some pictures this weekend. I had to go the cheapest way possible so i used vinegar which after a day takes the rust right off. Any leftover spots i hit with a soft wire wheel on my grinder. This was in 2013 (flood was in late) 2012. I never had a rusting issue in my basement but now i do.
All the bearings were changed,,motors cleaned and new bearings...i had to do this on every tool i have, 2 bandsaws, metal lathe, jointer, drill presses, table saw...not to mention my hand plane collection. Tons of stuff was thrown out.
Then i gave up. Lately ive been bitten by the woodworking bug so im giving it another go.
Here are the anti kickback fingers after soaking
[Image: 18_zps8135768a.jpg]
Planer blade setting issue