I built my cherry cabinets for my kitchen about 8 years ago. I finished them with 4 coats of lacquer with a sprayer. Now I have noticed that on a lot of my cabinet doors, the lacquer is gone or very thin.
What are the steps to relacquering these cabinets? I'm not going to remove them but I plan to refinish them inside the house with adequate ventilation.
Do I need to sand them then recoat? I just cleaned them.

Eddie

IME they need to be stripped or at least sanded very aggressively
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(01-25-2017, 09:35 AM)JGrout Wrote: IME they need to be stripped or at least sanded very aggressively

Yup ditto. 

That's a pretty common issue with lacquer in wet, damp,moist or areas that get cleaned on a regular basis. A small box i made for loml did that too because she decided the counter in the bathroom was a good place for it. That's why I use automotive Clearcoat on cabinets. Much more durable.
I made my kitchen cabinets in 2000 and when I sold the house in 2016 I gave the bottom cabinets a fresh coat of lacquer.  All I did was use wipe them down with a dewaxer in case furniture polish was on them.  Gave them a light sanding, wiped down again and sprayed fresh topcoat.  Turned out just fine.  Lot easier than stripping and refinishing.
Got any pictures?  I think the answer depends upon how they look.  If they are worn through to bare wood in spots then I would think stripping (or sanding as a distant second) is the only real to getting a uniform result.  If they are just worn thin, with no bare, peeled, or cracked areas, then a good cleaning and light sanding should be sufficient.  

Regardless, if you plan to stay in this house and keep the kitchen, I would not use plain lacquer for the recoat.  I'd use catalyzed lacquer or some other more durable product.  Personally, I would not spray solvent based finish indoors, though I know it's done all the time and people live to tell the tale.  I'd use a WB topcoat.  General Finishes EnduroVar and Enduro Clear Poly are two I know well that are very durable. 

John
Scuff sand and respray.

Lacquer is not for kitchen/bath cabinets.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

There's only a couple spots where bare wood is showing through. The problem is that this was my first major spraying job and I obviously didn't do a great job like I can now. There's a lot of areas that are thin.

I thought I was doing the right thing by using lacquer since I asked people on various woodworking forums.
What is the main finish that people use for kitchen cabinets?
I don't do many kitchens but I use M.L. Campbell pre cat Magnamax a lot.

https://www.mlcampbell.com/products/magnamax
I have had excellent results with General Finishes High Performance Top Coat.
“It is easy to be conspicuously 'compassionate' if others are being forced to pay the cost.”  ― Murray N. Rothbard
(02-04-2017, 08:28 AM)Goatman Wrote: I have had excellent results with General Finishes High Performance Top Coat.

Great product - but not for kitchen cabinets.  It has very poor chemical durability.  I'm repairing a couple of kitchen doors right now that I used it on before I knew that.  Something greasy got drooled down them and ate right through the finish.  GF's EnduroVar or Enduro Poly are far more durable products. 

John
Lacquer Fading Off My Kitchen Cabinets