I've been watching the popularity of track saws increase over the past few years and wondering if it might be time to add one. It seems like DeWalt and Festool are the two most popular with each having their following.  

I currently have a Sawstop table saw and DeWalt cordless trim saw.  Would the track saw be a worthwhile investment in between the two?  I know people have their brand preferences, but any others I should seriously consider other than the two mentioned?  Any feedback on the cordless models?  I like the idea of the portability, but do they have adequate power?

Thanks!
Mike

Mike,

Not saying don't buy one, but I do a fair amount of cabinet work and can't find a reason to buy a track saw.

I use a quality circ saw, a fine tooth blade and an accurate homemade guide system which gets me very acceptable results even with DS melamine.

I would say if this is a tool that collects more dust than gets used, I wouldn't buy one.
There is the makita the grizzly/shop fox/steppach. If you can find worx had a saw that would fit the festool rails. 

Have seen several mentions of issues with the quality of the track for the makita saw. As in not straight and other issues. 

I lean towards rwe2156 opinion. It's all about the type of work you do where you do it and your work flow weather a track saw would be a benefit. 

For me I can never have too many tools. I do look at them and I am leaning toward the shop fox as its usually cheaper than the griz and better looking. It does require some mods to get it working great and a new blade. However I would prefer the saw to be cordless and that would put me towards the dewalt cordless version. 

My biggest issue with all of them is that they are all right bladed. I prefer a left blade for the type of work I would use it for which is mainly sheet goods. I have thought of getting a new cordless saw either the milwaukee or the bosch as they are left bladed and make a nice track for it. For now I just use a home made track and a left bladed PC saw.
I consider them a worthwhile investment. I bought mine primarily for use in breaking down sheet goods, and they excel at that....you can usually cut the finished size. But now mine does just as much straight edging on rough sawn lumber as anything...though you do have to get a rip blade, the OEM blades are all that great for ripping. I have to admit, a well made shop built jig and a good circ saw can do pretty much the same thing. Bit I suspect the track saw is a lot more convenient. One last thing: I bought mine with 2 55" tracks, thinking that was the cat's butt. Didn't work out as I expected, it's a little hard to get the tracks perfectly aligned. So I wound up getting the 106" (or whatever it is) track. But if you want to stay with 2 tracks, don't get them the same length...seems to me a 76" and a 55" would be a better choice than 2 55" ones.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
My Festool TS-55 track saw has revolutionized my shop. Found the kit on c/l for $350. Added 6' and 9' tracks. It produces splinter-free cuts (on both sides) in expensive veneered plywood. So easy to break down full sheets; just set it directly over your layout marks. Foolproof door cutouts in the middle of a sheet, due to its plunge action. And makes straightening the edge of raw lumber a snap. No need to clamp the guide track as it does not slide around.

WAY worth its seemingly outrageous price.
Wood is good. 
(02-15-2017, 12:06 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: No need to clamp the guide track as it does not slide around.

That's certainly what I've heard, too.  Dang it's hard to wrap my head around that track staying in place without clamps, though.
Smile
It's true. I've been using mine, for years, and have never needed to clamp the track. You simply apply slight downward pressure (which occurs naturally while sawing) and the non-skid on the track's bottom holds it perfectly in position.
Wood is good. 
I had a hard time getting over the cost of the saw and tracks....finally got over that and wish I had pulled the trigger a lot sooner.   No brand preference between Makita, Dewalt and Festool, just wanted the least pricey option.   I finally found a re-furb Dewalt unit  with a 59" track on CPO Outlet that I pulled the trigger on.   Got the unit and coudn't tell it was new - not a mark or scratch on it.   Purchased another 59" track instead of the 9' track for cutting sheet goods lengthwise.   Works great - so much easier than trying to horse a full sheet through the tablesaw by myself.   Cut's a very clean, usable edge and with a vac attached, leaves very little dust behind.   As I said, wish I got it sooner.

No affiliation with CPO, other than making a couple of purchases there based on price and service.

Dave
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
I recently got the Makita after much research and pondering.

I really like the saw.  Splinter free edges on oak plywood, wahoo....

I have the Porter-Cable 314  4-1/2" Trim Saw with a Freud blade that will do a respectable job, but nowhere near what the Makita track saw can do.

Frankie
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary and those who do not.
What little I do need one, I have the EZSmart guide. Furnish your own circ saw.
Couple hundred will get you one.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Please tell me about track saws