I've got some semi-scrap wood that I want to use to make a salt box for my kitchen.  It's a simple project, really.  Just a lidded box with a relatively simple glue-up to make the blank.

The way I'm thinking to do this, I'm going to end up with end grain on the sides, not on the top and bottom the way you would normally think to make a bowl or lidded box.  Is this going to be a problem with either the strength or look of the box (other than that I'll see the rings being more pronounced).

The wood is going to be hard maple.

Yeah, I know I could just make it and see what I think, but I think I'm only going to have one shot at making this and I'd prefer not to waste time or these materials if I can help it.  I'm pretty much a beginner turner, but have made a prototype out of red oak that had some problems, mainly due to the fact that I now know I don't really want to turn red oak again, so I've got that experience under my belt.  
Big Grin

Thanks for your comments.

Blaine

Cross-grain is what I'd call it.  Only problem will be when moisture expands the top and the bottom across the grain, the unchanged end grain won't allow a bragging class vacuum closure. Answer most simple, make the top tenon a bit undersize so the expanded width will slide into the bottom's unchanged length.  I make lower lip into upper groove type fittings for cross-grain, too, and they behave well.  Third alternative is to groove your lid's spigot for a ring seal.  Bit of silicone dabbed in two/four places will keep a too-tight fit from working the ring loose.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Thanks Michael.  This is going to be a salt box for the kitchen, so I actually want a fairly loose fit.  I'm planning to make a simple finial for the lid. 

Blaine
See the extremely mild taper (cherry) in the bottom?  Centers and snugs a bit in all seasons, so you don't have to be sloppy loose.  It's made endgrain and holds dimension well. 

[Image: Bottom-Tenon-Box-2.jpg]
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Nice box and very nice picture.  
Yes  Love the top with the curly grain.

I made some pepper mills as gifts for Christmas and decided to put a maple "cap" on the top into a drilled hole (a "design feature 
Crazy ).  I didn't want all end grain, so turned a large dowel that would show the long grain in a way similar to the top of your box.  I was really pleased with the way it turned out.  Since the dowel was hard maple, it polished up as nice as a billiard ball.  The design feature turned out to be a pretty nice design element.

Blaine
Be sure to post what you made so we can all Ohhhh and Ahhh.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
End Grain