My brain-dead neighbor decided to cut down a tree that he thought was on his lot.  It wasn't.  I wasn't particularly torqued because I think it's one of those pain in the arse invasive species (Norway?), and cutting it down was on my round tuit list.  

The good news, I think, is this:

[Image: IMG_5844.jpg]

This is the flip side.  What's the white stuff? Will it make me sterile? 
Wink (If it's mold as I suspect, I have to be careful as I have a wicked mold allergy.)  IIRC, he cut the tree down months ago, took away the debris, then went back within the last week and cut the stump down a bit further.  I think this piece came off the stump.  It's been sitting outside since he did that, in a fair amount of rain.  I took it inside earlier today.
[Image: IMG_5842.jpg]

I have no idea what I'd do with it--I'm not a turner and, other than making it into a stool or very small table, I don't have any ideas.  I don't remember seeing a burl on the tree, especially near the bottom, which I passed regularly while mowin
I've seen sleds/jigs that can be used to saw up short logs or the like, but I don't think this will work on my 14" band saw, using the face shown in the first pic as a reference.

I've heard of things like Anchor Seal and paraffin wax, but I don't know if this piece warrants that treatment.  Suggestions?

Any value in this, in case I decide I can't use it?

(BTW- I started the post calling my neighbor an id__t   (add an "i" and an "o") (truer words never spoken, by me, at least) and that term was changed to "person" as in "My person neighbor".  I'm fine with the "forum owner's house, forum owner's rules" convention, but I've never seen this kind of thing.  What did I miss?)

Thanks,
Tony

I think the white stuff is fungus. It should stop once the wood dries out. If you can manage to cut it up, it would make some nice drawer veneers. I would slice it at 1/4" and use them inside a cabinet as an accent.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Apparently he cut it while the sap was up, then sheltered that side.  Fungus which will dry.  YOU should mask up well and have your Benadryl and inhaler handy if you can't get a neighbor to do the debark.  Don't do it until you're ready to work the piece.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
That should make a nice hollow form. A decent bowl could also find it's way out.

I should mention that often it goes from beautifully spalted to punky quite rapidly. Best to jump on it sooner, rather than later.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
(04-04-2017, 10:31 AM)clovishound Wrote: That should make a nice hollow form. A decent bowl could also find it's way out.

I should mention that often it goes from beautifully spalted to punky quite rapidly. Best to jump on it sooner, rather than later.

Once below about 18% MC, or temperature below human comfortable range, all growth will stop. https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/techl...d-wood.pdf

Former Yooper Sara is the expert of experts. http://www.finewoodworking.com/2009/04/1...own-lumber
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Wow  That would be wonderful to turn and so sorry you are not a turner but maybe this might get you to be one.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Get a lathe, and turn your neighbor a nice, tall dunce cap.
Size, weight? You could always cut it into 3" slices, dry it, then send it to me to infuse with resin. :
Smile
[Image: IMG_2310b_zps5xwcghoy.jpg]
BontzSawWorks.net
Love me some spalt!

You've been given good advice so far.  If it's not punky, you should be able to use it as you would any other wood.  (If it is punky, give it to a turner.)  First cut it up into useful sizes.  I'd recommend 1" - 2" thick slices, which can always be sliced thinner.  Then lay it aside someplace sheltered and dry and let it dry out.  Stickering helps, of course.  While it dries, you've got some time to think about what you want to do with it.

It makes great accent wood, and tool handles (like Bonz shows) are always a great idea.  I've done one or two spalted handles myself....

[Image: two-saw-handles-8-2014-20.jpg]

[Image: two-saw-handles-8-2014-19.jpg]

[Image: tenon-saw-2016-2.jpg]

[Image: CherryPecanMarkingGaugeBatchJune2012--2.jpg]

I've also used it on one or two boxes.

[Image: tenor-recorder-case-12-2016-9.jpg]

Have fun with it!
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(04-05-2017, 12:28 PM)RonB1957 Wrote: Size, weight? You could always cut it into 3" slices, dry it, then send it to me to infuse with resin. :
Smile
[Image: IMG_2310b_zps5xwcghoy.jpg]
Let me see if I get this, Ron.  I send the chunk cut down to 3" slices (saw handles are about 1" thick, right? Hell of a margin.) then you send me back one of these No. 9-ish beauties with a handle made out of one of those resin-infused slices in return?  Deal!! 
Wink 
Laugh

It's roughly 14 x 17 x 7 and 40 lbs. almost soaking wet.  Guess I can get in on my bandsaw after all.  

One more question.  [/b]Should I cut it on the short side (so pieces are roughly 17" long x 7" high x 3" thick) or make full slices  14 x 17 x 3?  The latter approach will leave Ron with one 3" slice to play with all by himself.
Wink  

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.  'Night.
Tony
Chunka spalted maple by accident.