I'm in the market for a small scroll saw. It won't see a ton of use, so I'm not even considering the DeWalt. I do see this WEN on Amazon for not a lot of money, and it has some nice features. Thoughts? Do you think this is a decent machine for the money?
Jason

What do you intend to use the saw for?  Perhaps for certain, limited tasks, that saw might be serviceable.  There are a number of saws out there, with different brand names & different colors, but essentially the same design as the WEN you linked.  Frankly I'm not a big fan, but perhaps I have different requirements and expectations.  The biggest problems I've seen with entry level saws like this are that blade changes are tedious and clumsy, they tend to vibrate like crazy, the tables may not be flat, they don't accept plain end blades.  I don't know if all of these complaints apply specifically to the WEN or not, but if you are considering doing fretwork, I'd be looking for a decent used saw before spending money on one of these.  JMHO.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Where do you live? I've got a delta that runs fine, I just never use it anymore. If you came by it would be yours. Sorry, not interested in shipping, would be for local, or passing through only.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Oddly enough that unit uses pin end blades. Not many do anymore outside of craftsman stuff and pinned blades are harder to come by and because of the pins you blade selection is poor and limited to wider thicker blades. 

Check craigslist. Scroll saws are a tool that rarely get used and get sold cheap. I have a delta one and it does what i need the few times I use it. I also have a pm 95 (late 60s early 70s vintage)which isn't small or light but I am thinking of selling it.
Regarding the Wen, if your expectations are fairly low, you shouldn't be too disappointed.

My scroll saw is an old cast iron Delta I picked up on c/l. It is variable speed and has a digital "strokes/minute" readout.
Smile

[Image: scroll-saw_zps8fb8e312.jpg]
Wood is good. 
I'm in eastern PA, so I can't pick up in OH.

I intend to use the saw for small pattern cuts I can't effectively do on my bandsaw, some interior cuts, and maybe some thin, soft metals. I can do all those tasks with hand tools or other methods, I was just thinking a scroll saw would make them faster. I'll have a look at Craigslist. Thanks!
Jason

Without my scroll saw I would not have been able to produce the Birdseye maple starfish inlay in this teak table. Table is 24" x 48". Starfish is 12".

[Image: cstar-table-1_zpsa96860b2.jpg]
Wood is good. 
Scroll saw with the right blades will definitely handle all those tasks.  Just need to get one that isn't more frustrating to use than it's worth. 
Wink
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I got a craftsman off of CL for 50 dollars . I am not a scroll sawyer . It comes in handy when I need to make scroll  saw  type cuts though. It does the job I ask of it .

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

Scroll Saw