I need 220 for a couple of my machines, but it is difficult to add a breaker since the box is full.  A while back I saw a post that described an product that could be plugged into two 110 V outlets that come from opposite sides of the breaker box and combine them to form 220V.  Avoiding the hassle of adding a sub-panel.  Can't remember if this was homemade or a product sold somewhere.  Does anyone know about this?  

Thanks
Mark

Can you safely change a few 110 breakers to mini breakers to free up enough room for a 220 breaker?
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

You will likely get better discussion up in Home Improvement or in Power Tools.

I have seen various versions of the cords with 2 males and 1 female. None of them seemed safe.

Your best bet is probably to add a sub-panel in the shop. That has a lot of advantages.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Maybe, but I think the box is already full of mini-breakers.  Seems like it has a lot of breakers for my average size house.
Could always plug into the drier outlet. Run a cord to it and plug in when you need it.
You may have seen this product or others like it.

http://www.vaporrino.com/VR-Products/Ele.../index.php

Seems expensive for what it is.  Note it says it wont work on GFCI receptacles.

Mike
I through this myself just a few months ago. My panel and subpanel (from an addition to the house man years ago) was full of breakers. I ended up having to go through each of the breakers to determine if I could combine some lines and free up space for another 220 breaker.

I went through each line with a friend, using a signal generator (sends a sound along the wire to make IDing which outlets were on each line) and adding up the amps used from everything plugged into each line. I found several lines that were using less than 20% of the amperage the breaker was rated for, and could combine a couple and be safe even if I added more electronics the those lines.

I ended up being able to free up 2 total spaces in the main and 3 in the subpanel. Now, I have a new dedicated 220v line in my shop.

You may be able to do the same thing.  There are easier ways to do what I did, if you have access to an Ammeter, but I didn't at the time.

I'm not an expert, and you should check with a licensed electrician re making any major changes, but it worked for me.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
The sticker inside your panel box will tell you how many breakers it will hold. Like others said, if you are not sure, call a Pro.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
Eee_Gads! My electrical codes say 'call a licensed pro to do everything but turn lights on or off.' Almost. Life is so good when the contractor (or, his underwriter) writes the laws.
(04-23-2017, 11:12 AM)hbmcc Wrote: Eee_Gads! My electrical codes say 'call a licensed pro to do everything but turn lights on or off.' Almost. Life is so good when the contractor (or, his underwriter) writes the laws.

Don't know where you're from but even here in the nanny state of Massachusetts it's perfectly legal to do electrical work in one's own home with a homeowners permit.
have 110 need 220