I found a couple of old metal lathes and thought I would show links here.  If anyone else has some old either metal or wooden lathes post them here for us to look at.

Thanks for showing them.  I am having a bad head day and forgetting how post.  I deleted my links since you did the pics
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

[Image: img4.gif]

[Image: img60.gif]
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

Those ain't old.  THESE are old.

[Image: hawickpl.JPG]

[Image: f88356d7c5aeb6153237109479697c89.jpg]

Loose clothes, long sleeves, and no body armor.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I was thinking of the Lathes themselves which were made.  The ones you show were made from individuals within the last 20 years or earlier.  Now springpole or others made in the very early days would be nice to see.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(06-03-2017, 05:28 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I was thinking of the Lathes themselves which were made.  The ones you show were made from individuals within the last 20 years or earlier.  Now springpole or others made in the very early days would be nice to see.

Museum pieces, those.  Some in reenactment milieus might the real thing, but I doubt they would be in use, just on display.  Might as well be photos.

If you stop and think, those bodger lathes in the woods were constructed in situ by the turner then, as similar are now.  Were not worth moving, so when the turner moved to greener areas, they were stripped of the manufactured/purchased points and left behind.  Only difference I see in then and now is now they save the lathe.

[Image: Merchant-and-Makers-Robin-Wood-Bowls-Pol...-c1905.jpg]

If you're an Underhill fan, you may see some antique intermediate forms of treadle and pedal lathes in use.  He has, as well, built and demonstrated pole lathes.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
""If you stop and think, those bodger lathes in the woods were constructed in situ by the turner then, as similar are now.  Were not worth moving, so when the turner moved to greener areas, they were stripped of the manufactured/purchased points and left behind.  Only difference I see in then and now is now they save the lathe.""

Isn't that the truth.  I read this before and forgot how they make them and made another later.  Pretty cool if you ask me.
Yes

I wish I had the pictures of the wood lathe I made back in the 70's from black 1/2" and 3/4" gas pipe and scrap metal. Made a few things with it, but thought I was in hog heaven when I was able to buy a real one in the 90's.
Which one did you buy in the 90's and are you still in hog heaven?

(06-06-2017, 04:15 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Which one did you buy in the 90's and are you still in hog heaven?

My limited knowledge of lathes was obvious. I had purchased the 4 speed Ridgid from HD's.  I still use the Craftsman HSS turning tools I bought at the same time.

It does work fine, but adjustments are quite the hassle.  The wood however doesn't know what is turning it, so it doesn't matter.

I have had it where a large log was almost shaking it around the room and it still held up.  I just now replaced the live center bearing a few weeks ago.
[Image: __1be736022D29cb2D44e62Dad852D7aadadadc7...xtmbru.jpg]
This is mine the one below is what I am hoping to make it.  I couldn't find the picture first time around

[Image: 2d8d9355.jpg]

[Image: 52190_zpsgpwnch4l.jpg]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Old Lathe pictures