This platter is along the same lines as the last one. Soft maple, about 12" dia. and an 1/8" thick. It is burned and pierced to simulate an open basket weave.
It's been in my mind to start adding some color to my work and to that end I have been taking lessons from a local water color artist, not my forte at all. I did several test pieces with water color paint and just couldn't get the "pop" I was after and eventually ended up using aniline dye for the color on this piece. The center motif is a tracing of a photo I found online. Thanks for looking!!

[Image: 3lz6nfqJHyjDcVAmoNZE6ZtUtc7qN4wQFQblG4Vl...20-h643-no]

[Image: EqRbLrNIHTzhpo_oHuQfr6VCyREKKFYajhrKRXGz...17-h643-no]

[Image: 3SGpG_lWbo4XX-iYLCQQxXnfSDAcWh-6KyoW3HMZ...64-h643-no]
Steve K

Amazing!  I understand adding color in general, but in this case (to me) the bottom is more attractive.  I remember your last "basket".  They really do look like woven baskets.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(07-27-2017, 03:22 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Amazing!  I understand adding color in general, but in this case (to me) the bottom is more attractive.  I remember your last "basket".  They really do look like woven baskets.

Hi Bill, I really appreciate your honest opinion! I get what you're saying, the underside on this platter turned out about as well as I could have hoped. That little pattern is called "phicops in a circle" and I have used it so-o-o-o many times. I will still pursue using color but I have lots to learn about that.
Steve K

Beautiful piece. Any idea of how many hours you have invested in it? Definily a labor of love.
Steve

I do not know what you are meaning when you say pop since that is a piece you nailed on the colors.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Steve
You have gone from a turner to a true artist,that is beautiful,I love both the bottom and the front,hard to decide which I like more.You sure show some great talent.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Another decorative platter.