A number of knew that I had a wonderful basement shop in central Ohio - 15 1/2 ' by 33' - heated and air conditioned. I spent many happy hours in that shop - building - restoring old tools - entertaining other woodworkers, but that came to an end in mid-may when we decided to move to Florida. I  sold a LOT of tools, gave a LOT away, and shipped a LOT.

My new shop area is considerably smaller being the rear of a 22' by 24' garage. I spent weeks trying to get an electrician to install 20A circuits in the garage - accomplished just yesterday, then today the small Mitsubishi AC was installed (absolutely great unit), and the insulation will be installed in the sidewalls (garages on newer homes in this area of Florida are finished with drywall) and ceiling of the garage on Wednesday of next week, and I'll finally be able to get to work setting up shop. It's been unbearable to be in the garage without some type of cooling.

Thanks to advice from my good friend AdamR here on Woodnet, I still have my Ulmia woorkbench, my MiniMax S18 bandsaw, Kreg router table, DeWalt 735 with Byrd head, and I'll start with new Festool tracksaw and dust extractor. Of course, I have a boatload of all types of hand tools. It all seems to be able to fit together nicely in the space that I have available.  Some of my collector planes have been placed into a workroom inside the house.

It'll be quite different working in a small shop, but at least, I'll still be able to make items that I want.

Now comes the difficult task of sorting through all the tools that I brought with me. The extras will start off with a tag sale here in Lynn Haven (suburb of Panama City), and if I'm not able to get a fair price locally, they'll hit S&S.

Wish me luck.

r2

(07-28-2017, 05:18 PM)lilrichard2 Wrote: A number of knew that I had a wonderful basement shop in central Ohio - 15 1/2 ' by 33' - heated and air conditioned. I spent many happy hours in that shop - building - restoring old tools - entertaining other woodworkers, but that came to an end in mid-may when we decided to move to Florida. I  sold a LOT of tools, gave a LOT away, and shipped a LOT.

My new shop area is considerably smaller being the rear of a 22' by 24' garage. I spent weeks trying to get an electrician to install 20A circuits in the garage - accomplished just yesterday, then today the small Mitsubishi AC was installed (absolutely great unit), and the insulation will be installed in the sidewalls (garages on newer homes in this area of Florida are finished with drywall) and ceiling of the garage on Wednesday of next week, and I'll finally be able to get to work setting up shop. It's been unbearable to be in the garage without some type of cooling.

Thanks to advice from my good friend AdamR here on Woodnet, I still have my Ulmia woorkbench, my MiniMax S18 bandsaw, Kreg router table, DeWalt 735 with Byrd head, and I'll start with new Festool tracksaw and dust extractor. Of course, I have a boatload of all types of hand tools. It all seems to be able to fit together nicely in the space that I have available.  Some of my collector planes have been placed into a workroom inside the house.

It'll be quite different working in a small shop, but at least, I'll still be able to make items that I want.

Now comes the difficult task of sorting through all the tools that I brought with me. The extras will start off with a tag sale here in Lynn Haven (suburb of Panama City), and if I'm not able to get a fair price locally, they'll hit S&S.

Wish me luck.

r2

Luck
Wink
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

It might be pretty nice to be able to take advantage of the additional space afforded by pulling the cars out, though.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
We are looking at doing possibly the same thing, and possibly the same area. Got some medical issues to take care of first.
Oz
While it's not fun to have to stuff on mobile bases, with cars out of the garage you'll actually have 16.5 more square feet of work space.

And a big plus is you'll never have to move another snow flake.
Good luck Richard. I never did buy you lunch......
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Good luck to you.  I hope you are past the most painful part, and that the tools you don't keep become parts of the best memories of other people.  Think of the chains of previous owners of your tools you can join.  I wish you many happy hours in your new shop.
Best to you, Richard. I really wish that was a move I could make (wife won't leave Ohio) even though I'm now to old to be considering such things.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
We were trying to decide to move a while back. Wasn't sure if it was what we wanted (longer story).
We stood in the shop and saw what we would have to move and that made our decision for us.
When we finally move, it will be because I'm downgrading the shop and house- by then age will assist us in the decisions.
I ain't moving 30 ton of tools and stuff.
Just bury me out back
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Downsizing and Moving = Painful