I'm needing to sharpen some Disston hand saws and am looking for a supplier on taper, slim taper, xslim taper, and xxslim taper triangle files.  Where do you fellows purchase them?  I've seen a few on ebay yet when I watch the final price get bid up to a ridiculous amount it makes me want to shake my head.  Amazon seems high for a single file.  My local saw shops don't carry them.  So I'm now down to the mercy of the interwebs and members on WWF to guide me to a place which sells files by the dozen for a decent price.

$3 or $4 seems about my price point but I'm sure some on here will say I need to go a bit higher if I want to get a quality file.

What say ya'll?

I've bought from Pete Tehran at Vintage Saws (see website). I"ve also files at old Hardware stores (a great surprise sometimes with new old stock). I've also bought some from Lee Valley.
Gotta learn it sometime, so take your time, enjoy, and make sawdust...
Archie
Files and sources for them are scarce.  I also think your price point is going to be pretty difficult to fulfill if you locate any files.  I file my own saws and am very careful about wasting files that might still have life in them.  Lee Valley seems to have files most of the time, but Lie-Nielsen hasn't carried them for a couple of years.  There is a lot of argument over the quality of what is out there, in any case.  Let's see what others have to suggest, but there might be enough of a hoarder's instinct at work that people might not share their sources; I don't know.  The saws I file most often are my back saws.  For them, I have switched to needle files, which are have sharper corners and finer teeth than regular triangular files.  They also cost about $15. each, but last pretty well.
Mike Brady, I don't mind paying $15 for a file which WILL produce results. I just want to find a supplier that won't charge twenty bucks for one file, plus a ton for shipping. I've even thought of going the China route with some files which have been coated with diamonds. I love the Chinese diamond honing plates from Ebay for three bucks and nominal shipping. 3000 grit for four bucks to my door is quite the bargain. I wish there was something similar with triangular files.
(08-13-2017, 08:41 AM)Dayle1960 Wrote: Mike Brady, I don't mind paying $15 for a file which WILL produce results.  I just want to find a supplier that won't charge twenty bucks for one file, plus a ton for shipping.  I've even thought of going the China route with some files which have been coated with diamonds.  I love the Chinese diamond honing plates from Ebay for three bucks and nominal shipping.  3000 grit for four bucks to my door is quite the bargain.  I wish there was something similar with triangular files.
" I've even thought of going the China route with some files which have been coated with diamonds".

I have some of those and my experience with them has not been good...The diamond is electroplated on apparently and wears away quickly... lasting not even long enough to finish one saw.
I prefer the Swiss files to any other brand I have used. Check McMaster Carr....
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

You might try Tools for Working Wood. 

https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/stor...SAWFILE.XX

I have not ordered the saw files from him but he is good about monitoring quality and dropping suppliers that are not providing a good product.
Last few I have bought, I walked into Menards, and bought a couple by Stanley......one is on it's third saw..the other is still in the package....$5-$6 each......6" Extra Slim Taper.....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Try Issac at Blackburn Tools, he sells files, Bahco I think, but not in boxes.  I've been looking for Bahco files, to the point that I'd stop when I saw a Snap-On truck at a  gas station, the Snap-on guy said you have to find a distributor and buy in size.  I was thinking about getting a bunch of guys together here to do a group buy but am too busy.  Here's Bahco's page (sizes in mm's) for tapered triangular saw files:

http://www.bahco.com/en/p/taper-saw-file...-61-97-3e/

Personally, I'd buy a dozen box of perhaps 3 or 4 sizes, more for the future as I'm pretty set right now.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I find them at Ace, but not a large variety, and for larger rip and ccut. Daryl Weir(sp) had good comments for the green package Nicholson's made in Mexico.
Boggs Tool & File.

I've sent files in for sharpening, and ordered files from them. This generally involves a quick phone call and a description of what you want to accomplish. A few days later, you will get the sharpest file you have ever used. At least, that's been my experience. It will cost above your stated price point, but not by a lot. I think maybe 8 bucks? It's been a while. 

Boggs

Nice folks to deal with as well.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Where do you buy triangle files?